Direct Mount Pickup fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Mount Pickup fix

I got a humbucker the other day that has the height adjustment holes tapped out for direct mounting to the body. What is the easiest way to fix this so I can mount it the standard way (i.e. hanging from the pickguard)?

Thanks for any and all help.

Re: Direct Mount Pickup fix

im not sure what you mean. are the holes too big for std mounting screws?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
      im not sure what you mean. are the holes too big for std mounting screws?
      yeah, the holes are about the size of single-coil mounting screws. I would just use single coil mounting screws, but they are too short to be used as height adjustment screws.

maybe I could find long single coil sized screws. or maybe I could put a nut under the mounting ear. I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Comment

id bring the pup to a home depot or hardware store and see if you can find something thatll fit

Comment

Originally posted by aiko1aiko
          I got a humbucker the other day that has the height adjustment holes tapped out for direct mounting to the body. What is the easiest way to fix this so I can mount it the standard way (i.e. hanging from the pickguard)?

Thanks for any and all help.
          What I've done is, picked up some 4-40 thread nuts at a hardware store. And JB weld them to the mounting tang. I leave the screws in, so as to not get it all over the threads. Then about 5-6 hours later, unscrew the screws and get either a box cutter or exacto knife to clean up around the nut. You have to put globs of it on so it will adhere, and make sure the tang surface is free of wax/grease. I've done this twice to pups', and have only one problem. And that was one nut came off because I tried to remove the screw and clean it up too early. You'll all so have to cut the spring down a little so that there will not too much tension against the nut.
          This will be under the pick guard, so no one will see it

Comment

Use a tap and die set to re-thread the holes and then go to ACE hardware and get some stainless steel cheese head bolts.

Snowdog

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like the answer is in the hardware store!

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X