SDS-1 versus Virtual Solo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDS-1 versus Virtual Solo?

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a pickup for a strat that will only be set up for a single coil sized bridge pickup. I'm heavily leaning towards the SDS-1 since a buddy of mine has one in his guitar, and I remember trying one very briefly in my strat a couple years ago. Very big and badass sounding-- not strat-like at all, more like a hairy sounding P90. Only problem is, it's a noisy cuss! Was one of the only pickups to capture the same badass single coil vibe of the Dimarzio Pre B-1 in my esquire.

Which leads me to the Virtual Solo. Very similar in output and EQ curve to the SDS-1, but with a little more mids and a little less bass. Oh, and ALOT less noise. But what's the vibe/voice of the Virtual Solo compared to the SDS-1? Is it a refined/smooth sounding pickup, or does it still have alot of that brash character of the SDS-1?

I'm looking for something with the attitude/attack of a single coil, but the rudeness and warmth of a humbucker.

So should I just suck it up and deal w/ the noise on the SDS-1? This guitar will have a Duncan YJM volume pot, so I can kill the volume quickly in between songs. Or should I try out the Virtual Solo? My big concern is that the Virtual Solo is going to be too smooth and polite.
    "I shall allow this GAS bubble to pass, a mere fart in time." - Aceman
Working...
X