banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P-90 Users: 250k or 500k w/ tone control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P-90 Users: 250k or 500k w/ tone control?

Originally posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Amateur question: if I switch the tone pot to 250k, the overall tone will still be "warmer" on a 250k vs. a 500k, even if the tone is set to "10" on either one?
    Yes. There is a small effect even on 10. The only way it wouldn't be, other than removing it from the circuit, would be if it was a no-load tone pot. No-load means that when it hits 10, it is removed from the circuit. It's like no tone pot is even there.

Comment

I just wanted to write back (for anyone who finds this thread on a Google search in 2016) that the suggestion to wire the bridge pickup (only) to the tone control and make that pot a 250k with .047 caps REALLY worked!. I had the wiring screwed up at once, moved one wire over, and now I believe have a neck Rebel 90 going straight to the volume pot, and a bridge Rebel 90 wired to a tone control that really warms it up. It actually nice and full even on 10, but there's a nice treble rolloff if you back off it just a bit.

It probably depends on the guitar, but if you have a 25.5" scale Strat, or any other guitar that leans on the "bright" side, I strongly recommend trying out a 250k pot for bridge P-90's. It actually sounds almost humbucker like now (which is good), but there's that great midrange punch. Great pickups.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by StormJH1 View Post
        It probably depends on the guitar, but if you have a 25.5" scale Strat, or any other guitar that leans on the "bright" side, I strongly recommend trying out a 250k pot for bridge P-90's. It actually sounds almost humbucker like now (which is good), but there's that great midrange punch.
        I think it applies to any guitar. I do the same thing to my bridge P-90's on SG's and LP's. P-90's are single coils and in the bridge slot are pretty bright and thin. If you EQ your amp to get a great tone from the bridge, then the neck is probably going to be too dark. Since I like bright neck PU's, I add a good amount of treble at the amp, and it's easy to warm the bridge with a 250K pot or two, and/or a warmer magnet. I get neck clarity and definition, and still have a bridge that's full and has midrange punch.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          I think it applies to any guitar. I do the same thing to my bridge P-90's on SG's and LP's. P-90's are single coils and in the bridge slot are pretty bright and thin. If you EQ your amp to get a great tone from the bridge, then the neck is probably going to be too dark. Since I like bright neck PU's, I add a good amount of treble at the amp, and it's easy to warm the bridge with a 250K pot or two, and/or a warmer magnet. I get neck clarity and definition, and still have a bridge that's full and has midrange punch.
          Agreed. The Tonerider Rebel 90 is actually an Alnico II magnet, which, as I understand it, is one of the smoother/warmer ones.

Click image for larger version

Name:	r90s_large.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	5767648

Still, considering that the output is only around 8k on both pickups, there's a remarkable amount of punch there. On guitars with two humbuckers (like a Les Paul), the bridge pickup tends to get the most attention from me. With these P-90's, it's just a "different" sounding guitar than any other one that I own. I can see useable tones at all three position (neck, both, bridge), actually.

The bridge pickup still gets a little gritty, almost like a high-output humbucker (JB) set close to the strings, but I kind of like that. Through a distorted/overdriven amp that emphasizes the higher frequencies (think Vox or Fender), it kind of sounds "vintage with an edge" on the bridge. And the neck pickup on clean tones is like a humbucker in a lot of ways, just more defined. I can see why a lot of players like a humbucker in the bridge and a P-90 in the neck.

While I'm a fan of the Toneriders, the Duncan Phat Cat is supposed to be excellent, so all of my praise would apply equally to that pickup, I'm sure.

Comment

Don't know if this will find you but I just bought this guitar at a Musicgoround in MN. It's everything I was looking for. Great neck, P90 pickups, Strat body.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonkaplayer View Post

Don't know if this will find you but I just bought this guitar at a Musicgoround in MN. It's everything I was looking for. Great neck, P90 pickups, Strat body.
              Man after my own heart. I have 7 P90’s

OP: 500k all day; I’d even consider a 1m pot in the neck if it had its own separate volume.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Frogman View Post

Man after my own heart. I have 7 P90’s

OP: 500k all day; I’d even consider a 1m pot in the neck if it had its own separate volume.
                That is one fine looking offset there Frogman.. I have a Fender offset with the same p90 / HB configuration. I have a Lollar stock p90 neck with a SD 59 Hybrid .. Really is a very good combination for me. 500k pots.. I just roll the tone knob down till it suites me.
                Man you did a great job on that one.. I'm having a hard time taking my eyes off it.. lol
                Last edited by TD9; 02-06-2021, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TD9 View Post

That is one fine looking offset there Frogman.. I have a Fender offset with the same p90 / HB configuration. I have a Lollar stock p90 neck with a SD 59 Hybrid .. Really is a very good combination for me. 500k pots.. I just turn the tone knob down till it suites me.
                  Man you did a great job on that one.. I'm having a hard time taking my eyes off it.. lol
                  Wow thank you!!

I have since acquired 2 more P90’s that I have been wanting for a long time: the ‘Pig 90

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X