banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Experience Antiquity 'buckers in Mahogany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Experience Antiquity 'buckers in Mahogany?

Hey everyone.

After much thought, I beleive I will be replacing the EMG's that are now in my '81 Hamer Studio FM with a set of Antiquities. I'm sure they sound great in traditional style LP's, but I was wondering how they would sound in my guitar, being that it's a double cut style mahogany axe with a thin, flat flame maple top and string thru body construction.

Will they be too dark? Am I better off just getting a set of Pearly Gates for this axe? Any other suggestions?

I will be playing through either a Fender Bassman head and a 2x12 cab (V30 and Jensen C12) or a Fender Hot Rod Deville (4x10 w/ Jensens). For overdrive and distortions, I use a Mesa/Boogie V-Twin preamp set to switch between the blue and red channels.

Thanks a lot for the info.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Re: Anyone Experience Antiquity 'buckers in Mahogany?

Benjy,

I've tried Antiquities in my Hamer (which is all mahogany), and they sounded good. Not dark at all. With the maple cap on yours, I doubt youl'd have a darkness problem at all. Seth's sounded better in that guitar IMO. Right now I have the original JB back in the bridge, with an A-2 magnet. That sounds the best overall.

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Cool.

Thanks Jeff. What do you have paired with the JB?

I have a pair of Seths in my closet, and I'll eventually pull the gold covers off (they were in my Sheraton) and try them in the Hamer, but I'm really jonesing to try out the Antiquities. How different were the Ants from the Seths?

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
        Cool.

Thanks Jeff. What do you have paired with the JB?

I have a pair of Seths in my closet, and I'll eventually pull the gold covers off (they were in my Sheraton) and try them in the Hamer, but I'm really jonesing to try out the Antiquities. How different were the Ants from the Seths?

Thanks for the info.
        I put the original '59 back in. Try the Seths first and see. If you're not satisfied get an Antiquity bridge and see. The Antiquity is a bit smoother sounding and the Seth has an initial "bite" to it. Not a trebley or sharp bite, but it's just different than the Ant. Once you're playing you'll hear a tad more mid-range in the Seth. The Ant is a perfect sounding PAF, while the Seth adds a different dimension (now that I've totally confused you with my rambling.
        ).

Benjy,

If you go to Scott F's Tone Ninja site and look in the clips that forum members have done, I have one with the Seths in the Hamer and two with the Antiquities in a LP Custom. They might help.

Jeff
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

i have a custom washburn thats kinda sg like with an antiquity neck pup that sounds wonderful. a seth is another great choice for a sweet vintage tone, a little thicker and brighter than the antiquity

Comment

just try the ants, i have not regretted getting any of mine and they always sound great.
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
              just try the ants, i have not regretted getting any of mine and they always sound great.
              +1

The Ants in my Les Paul Standard kick ass!

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

Thanks for the responses, gentlemen. I'll try the Seth's first this weekend, but I'm definately getting the Antiquities later on.

Comment

That should be a huge change from what you've been using. The Antiquities are very, very cool...
                  "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                  R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                  http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Originally posted by rhmcfarland
                    That should be a huge change from what you've been using. The Antiquities are very, very cool...

Not really.

The EMG's came with the guitar, and I think that they're the reason why I don't play this guitar as much live as I do unplugged at home. In all my other guitars I've stuck to fairly traditional pickup designs. I have Pearly Gates in my Lester, I had Seths in my Sheraton that I replaced with Phat Cats, I have a 59 set in my Yamaha AES (with alnico II mags), and pretty straight forward pickups in my strat and teles as well. The hottest sets I have in any of my guitars would be the EMG 60's currently in my Hamer, the APH/CC combo in my Carvin, and the Jazz/Custom combo in another Yamaha AES.

Comment

Working...
                    X