Distortion vs Gibson 500T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distortion vs Gibson 500T

(This is the 3rd part to the Duncan's vs other pups) How does the Distortion compare to the Gibson 500T? Since Gibson is the biggest guitar manufacturer in the world and make the best guitars in the world, I would think that Gibson would make one of the best pups in the world. I don't know of anybody that uses the 500T so tell me if anybody knows. Gibson says that the 500T is a very high output pup and great for metal but, does it have more output than the 500T? And how does the sound match up to the Distortion? And also as I said in one of the previouse threads, can the 500T match up to a Metallica sound and is it good for chugging? I've got a Kramer Les Paul that I want to put new pups into.
    :saeek: Today is yesterday's tomorrow. :saeek:

Re: Distortion vs Gibson 500T

Originally posted by Lagotto
    (This is the 3rd part to the Duncan's vs other pups) How does the Distortion compare to the Gibson 500T? Since Gibson is the biggest guitar manufacturer in the world and make the best guitars in the world, I would think that Gibson would make one of the best pups in the world. I don't know of anybody that uses the 500T so tell me if anybody knows. Gibson says that the 500T is a very high output pup and great for metal but, does it have more output than the 500T? And how does the sound match up to the Distortion? And also as I said in one of the previouse threads, can the 500T match up to a Metallica sound and is it good for chugging? I've got a Kramer Les Paul that I want to put new pups into.
    Hey Lagotto,

My recently purchased (about a year ago) Ebony Les Paul Classic came equipped with the 500T. I really thought the 500T was pretty good, but I wanted something a little bit tighter, and the DD fit the bill. The 500T is gritty & raw but a little loose for my taste. Good pup, but the DD takes it a step further. Nice & tight, good articulation & if you want chug the DD has it in spades. Love the DD & highly recommend it for a "tighter, chuggier" pup.
    Hope that helps.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

If you think Gibson makes nice guitars wait till you get your hands on a PRS. Just because a company makes a good guitar, it doesn't necessarily mean their pickups are that great. Gibson makes money selling guitars, not pickups, therefore their development for pickups isn't their highest concern. If you want a good pickup, go for an aftermarket pickup company that only builds pickups. That way you know your paying for a good piece of electronics, not just something to make noise and fill a hole in a guitar top. I'd go for the duncan.
      DayGlo

Comment

I would love to see a Dincan tome chart with Duncan's take on certain pup's side by side with bass/mid/trble and output/peak. For instance:

Duncan Distortion - 5/7/8/400/3.2K
        Super Distortion - 6/6/8/425/3.0k
        500T - 6/5/7/375/3.0k

Great question, though. I'm a defender of Gibsons pickups as at least "decent" if not exsactly the best thing for anyone's particular style and taste.

If anyone feels confident enough to put such a chart out there I'd love to see it. And I plan on replacing a 498 w/ a distortion also!
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSnMettle
          Hey Lagotto,

My recently purchased (about a year ago) Ebony Les Paul Classic came equipped with the 500T. I really thought the 500T was pretty good, but I wanted something a little bit tighter, and the DD fit the bill. The 500T is gritty & raw but a little loose for my taste. Good pup, but the DD takes it a step further. Nice & tight, good articulation & if you want chug the DD has it in spades. Love the DD & highly recommend it for a "tighter, chuggier" pup.
          Hope that helps.

Peace,

Darrin

That pretty much sums it up as well as I could do it.
          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Gibson says that the 500T is a very high output pup and great for metal but, does it have more output than the 500T?
            Huh?

Comment

Sorry, I meant "Gibson says that the 500T is a very high output pup and great for metal but, does it have more output than the Distortion?"
              :saeek: Today is yesterday's tomorrow. :saeek:

Comment

If it means anything, a few years back Gibson released a les Paul standard with an all mahogany body and mahogany, not maple top top, and 3 seymour duncan distortion pickups. Makes me wonder why they didn't use the 500T's, or even Dimarzio superdistortions, which they used on the ace frehley model

Comment

im thinking of getting another DD and putting it in my explorer. the 500t lacks something that the DD has a ton of.....the DD just seems so much more livelier whereas the 500t seems kinda....muted?
                  Originally posted by Aceman
                  It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151
                    Makes me wonder why they didn't use the 500T's, or even Dimarzio superdistortions, which they used on the ace frehley model
                    Because they figured at least PART of the guitar should be made by a company that cares about their customers.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Actually, Samick is the biggest guitar maker in the world (by volume), and, since I currently own both a Hamer and a Gibson, I think that Hamer can teach Gibson a thing or two about how to make a good guitar.
                      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                      X