Best Fretless Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Fretless Choice

I have some of the first Bartolini 9E active pick-ups for my japanese Fender Jazz Fretless. For a variety of reasons, I want to replace them with some passive pick-ups. I have the Quarter Pounder Precision P/U in my other, fretted bass, and am quite happy with it but, for my fretless, I want something a little more sophisticated. There are a number of choices and, unfortunately, it is impossible to compare them all. If it helps, I am primarily a melodic player and want a well balanced tonality that slightly accentuates the classic fretless sound.

Any help would be most welcome.

When I think of classic frettless, I think of Jaco. Strong mid growl. If that is what you want I would go with a vintage style where the mids are more prominant. However, you noted you want a sophisticated sound that "slightly accentuates the classic sound. If that is the case, I would stick with active pickups like the Basslines ProActive. They have very full sound that covers the spectrum. I have them on my fretless jazz and I can get a modern heavy bottom sound or a classic mid growl tone just by adjusting my amp EQ, for strong mids I just cut the bass and treble. You can also go with a set of low output passives with an onboard EQ, that way you can have a true passive tone and a full modern tone by use of the EQ.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your suggestions with me! My main goals here are to 1) Eliminate my dependance on batteries (I hate having to disassemble my instrument and dig out the battery), and 2) improve my overall tone. So, regarding the first goal, active p/us or other electronics are out. Plus, I use a really great Joe Meek pre-amp as my front end, which provides me with all the gain and EQ I need.

I was looking at the Antiquity II and, according to the description, it "is very similar to the pickups I re-wound for Jaco back in the early ‘80s. The pickup is wound for the right amount of output and brightness without being too muddy or thin. "

That might work for me. Has anyone used them in a fretless?

Again, thanks!

Comment

no but ive heard the antiquitys in a fretted bass and i think theyd sound great in a fretless. the antiquitys as a line of pups are the best that ive ever heard, i havent heard a bad one yet

Comment

Yeah, I can hear that fretless crying out for some Ant II's!

Comment

Working...
          X