Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for my strat

Hi there,

I currently own a JB and 59 Humbuckers in my epiphone but due to the quality of the guitar (I have Gibsons and Ibanez's) so I don't want to make a judgement of the pick ups when the guitar doesn't sound that great.

To the point :

I have a strat all single coils and I'm looking to play all sorts of music and just wondering what would cover the following bands : Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi, ACDC, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Eagle Eye Cherry, The Rembrandts, SRV, Green Day, ZZ Top, Van Halen, Beatles, Ozzy, Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, Richie Sambora etc... basically something versatile for most styles but I mainly play rock which needs a good fair bit of gain.

I was thinking of a JBjr in the bridge due to I like the amount of gain on tap in the epi I have but it just sounds muddy (which I'm putting due to the guitar) and the other option was a screaming demon. Would I be better going for a humbucker ?

What would I look at for middle and neck ? I think I'd go for a true single coil in the middle and I was looking at the Quarter Pounder in the neck but I don't think it'd handle the gain and I like the Humbucker tone but that was just an idea.

Anybody know what Sambora is using in the strat in the pic posted ? hotrails ?

Clips if you've got them and list what guitar you've got, I'm open to single coil suggestions if they'd handle the gain but I really find the humbucker tone is what I want.

Thanks

Re: Suggestions for my strat

For high gain rock sounds, I'd definitely say go with a humbucker. I have a Custom in the bridge of my strat and it really rocks.

I left two Lace sensors in the middle and neck positions for cleans...I find it to be a pretty versatile guitar
    thereveling.com

Comment

Originally posted by mr breaker
      For high gain rock sounds, I'd definitely say go with a humbucker. I have a Custom in the bridge of my strat and it really rocks.

I left two Lace sensors in the middle and neck positions for cleans...I find it to be a pretty versatile guitar

Great, any suggestions ? I think I may take the JB out my epiphone but then it's a case of it being overly bright which I hear about alot.

Comment

if your guitar is all single coils: cool rails neck, cool rails middle, hot rails or JB jr. bridge.

use 500k pots, set up the wiring with a mini toggle or push/pull or some kind of switch to be able to split the coils on all pickups so you also get true single coil mode.

That's my favorite strat setup and what I've used. I get ALL of those tones you listed above and then some. I've gotten cool fat warm jazz tones, satriani tones, heavy metal, SRV, etc. Also, with the coils split and in the middle positions it quacks like hell, especially with the cool rails, it sounds awesome with funk rhythm playing or anything where you still want to retain that single coil in between spank.

It rocks my socks, it does everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
          if your guitar is all single coils: cool rails neck, cool rails middle, hot rails or JB jr. bridge.

use 500k pots, set up the wiring with a mini toggle or push/pull or some kind of switch to be able to split the coils on all pickups so you also get true single coil mode.

That's my favorite strat setup and what I've used. I get ALL of those tones you listed above and then some. I've gotten cool fat warm jazz tones, satriani tones, heavy metal, SRV, etc.

It rocks my socks, it does everything.

Thanks alot.

It is currently routed S/S/S so I figured I'd try one then maybe jump in for the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Forbidden
            Thanks alot.

It is currently routed S/S/S so I figured I'd try one then maybe jump in for the rest.
            go for it, the cool rails are amazing. I find hot rails too muddy and bassy in the neck and middle, and cool rails too weak for the bridge. But in that combination it's perfect. And no hum!

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
              go for it, the cool rails are amazing. I find hot rails too muddy and bassy in the neck and middle, and cool rails too weak for the bridge. But in that combination it's perfect. And no hum!

Thanks, I will definetly try that set up.

Comment

Working...
              X