Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screamin' Demon in the neck

hey guys

My strat from Big Black just arrived and also with it the JB i got off him too. It came with the Single Demon in the Bridge but i was thinkin what if I throw the JB into the Bridge and put the demon in the Neck.

Anyone ever have a Demon in the Neck?
    I figure that since the jb is a bit hotter thant the demon htat balancing problems shouldn't really be much of a problem.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

y2stevo
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Re: Screamin' Demon in the neck

The Demon is great in the bridge but i think it might sound to bassy in the neck. Either way if you use the JB or Demon in the bridge i suggest the Jazz in the neck is perfect!!!!

Comment

hi man, if your guitar came with the demon in the bridge, that means that pup is made for the bridge,pups are made specifically for ther neck and bridge. when you look at the back of the pup, it should say sh_b, or sh_n, that means bridge or neck.
      if you put a pup that was made for the bridge in the neck, it wont sound right(trust me i did it).
      If you do, that the pup will sound to bassey, cause bridge pups are designed to cut down the treble in the bridge, and neck pups are made to cut down the bass in the neck(get that idea).
      But the JB is a good choice, go for the jazz in the neck, ....as for the sd, you can still put it in the bridge, if not try to sell it on ebay, and then buy a jazz.
      thank you
      hope i helped

Comment

If your guitar is bright you can try the Demon in the neck because it is probably the brightest duncan bridge pickup ( look at it's resonnace peak ) but in a dark guitar it will sound bassy and muddy on low strings ( but you cant still cut off basses before the amp i tried ) .

Comment

Aa far as i know the Screamin Demon is only for the bridge.....I don`t even think they make a Demon for the neck!!!!!

Comment

fab.regnaut......the Full Shred is brighter then the Demon!!!!

Comment

Cheers Guys,

I know that the Demon is made for the bridge and is only available as a bridge model, But i was wondering if anyone else has done that,Although i'm gonna end up trying it anyway. Also I was gonna have a series/split/parallel mini switch for both of them (It came with a series/split/parallel mini switch for the single Demon and I really liked what you could do with that so I'm gonna go with another one for the Neck)

Cheers
              Marshall JVM 410C
              Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

I've heard good things about a JB in the neck. The Demon might be a bit boomy, it's kind of bass heavy already on the thick stings of that guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by big_black
                  I've heard good things about a JB in the neck. The Demon might be a bit boomy, it's kind of bass heavy already on the thick stings of that guitar.
                  I was thinking that but the Demon has a 13k in bridge and Jb has 16k in bridge, So I think the JB would definitly overpower the Demon if it was in the Neck. Tho I may be very wrong as I haven't tried it, So I think I shall try both ways in that case

Cheers
                  Marshall JVM 410C
                  Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

Just lower the height of the JB.

Comment

big black is right!!!!!! All you have to do is lower the bridge pickup and raise the neck one!!! I had an Invader in the bridge and Jazz in the neck and the output was balanced cause the height of the pickups were ajusted!

Comment

Or whatever pickup is more powerful, just have that one set lower then the weaker one!

Comment

The screamin demon in the neck will be way louder than the JB in the bridge. Just by the fact that being closer to the middle of the string its going to recieve alot more vibration. This is why normally neck pickups are quieter than bridge is so they will balance. I think you will wind up with the neck pickup cranked all they way down to get them to balance in this case. Which may not be the best idea the magnetic fields for the best tone are with in a certain distance it may have to be too low to get real good tone out of it. (this is some amount of speculation but it can occur this did happen to me when i had a pair of superdistortions in a guitar. If i raises the neck one to normal heigth it had good tone but to get it to balance in volume it was too low) Something else that may be worth a try is some humbuckers on coil is louder than the other if you flip the screamin demon around you may be able to help the volume imbalance somewhat. just my 2 cents
                          "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                          you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher
                            The screamin demon in the neck will be way louder than the JB in the bridge. Just by the fact that being closer to the middle of the string its going to recieve alot more vibration. This is why normally neck pickups are quieter than bridge is so they will balance. I think you will wind up with the neck pickup cranked all they way down to get them to balance in this case. Which may not be the best idea the magnetic fields for the best tone are with in a certain distance it may have to be too low to get real good tone out of it. (this is some amount of speculation but it can occur this did happen to me when i had a pair of superdistortions in a guitar. If i raises the neck one to normal heigth it had good tone but to get it to balance in volume it was too low) Something else that may be worth a try is some humbuckers on coil is louder than the other if you flip the screamin demon around you may be able to help the volume imbalance somewhat. just my 2 cents
                            Thats why I was thinkin that the JB in neck and Demon in Bridge really wouldn't work, Firstly I'll have to change the allen pole pieces like big black suggested to the screws and then see if I prefer the Demon or JB

Cheers
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3

Comment

The Demon stock won't cut it in the neck, I have had it in the neck of my V for almost a year now and it only seems good for leads on the higher strings. The Demon in the neck really responds to the amps it is played on mostly, on my Boogie it sounds fat with huge picking attack but a boomy low end. On a Randall RH200 I played in the store it sounded incredible for some reason, it actually sounded perfect. But on another solid state amp it sounded inarticulate again. Although it will always sound incredible when played clean, the boomy low end on tube amps really bothers me. That's why I'm swapping it for a DDn after I finalize my halfstack
                              Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                              Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                              Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                              Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                              Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Working...
                              X