banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What SD is closest to DiMarzio's Norton??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What SD is closest to DiMarzio's Norton??

Hi guys!
    I m still concidering what bridge pup i should put in my Jackson Pro Series DK-2 (SSH,24 fret, FR, Alder body,rosewood fretboard), i wanted a guitar with SSH-configuration since i only owned HH or HSH models at the time. I guess i ll be replacing the SC's with SSL-5 Customs, for the bridge (i play mainly shred and rock(all sorts)) i need enough power, clarity, harmonics and sensitivity without sounding too bright or harsh, and it can't be over the top high output since i have to calibrate it a bit with the SC's. Something like the Norton is what i am after i guess, now my question is:wich SD humbucker comes closest to a Norton? And what bridge humbucker would you people use in this guitar when playing the style i described? Thanks a lot in advance for any input!
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Re: What SD is closest to DiMarzio's Norton??

Anybody?? With all the experience in this forum, there must be somebody out here who can suggest something?
    "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

I've never played the Norton, but I think that you would be well served with a Screamin Demon, by what you described.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I'd say you're describing the JB, on the previous board people told me the Norton was DiMarzio's JB and sounded very similar, I don't know who told me that exactly but I'm sure that if they're still active they'll chime in. The JB however might be too bright for your axe, maybe the Norton will be a better comprimise
        Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
        Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
        Marshall 2x12 Vintage
        Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

If you like the Norton, then that's what you should get. Typically, there are no Duncans and Dimarzios that sound alike. There's no shame in putting a non-SD pickup in your guitar.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I used the Norton for a while. It's got smoking mids and lows, and plenty of power. Unfortunately, it has no high end whatsoever. It sounded like the best bridge pickup you've ever heard, played through an amp in a closet with you on the other side of the closet's closed door.

There's really no Duncan exactly like it but the closest to my ear would be the Custom Custom. I find that even though neither model has much high end, the overall frequency response of the CC is more blended with itself and certainly, more vintage sounding.

Comment

Working...
            X