banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Lotta Humbucker. Who's tried them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Majdestic View Post
    The neck and bridge PUP aren't reversed I have check that already. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter to do any reading.
    Just a thought . . . isn't one of the p-p's on JP wiring a phase reversal? Maybe the tech did it backwards. Pull that knob, and see if the problem corrects itself.

Comment

No because the phase reversal is only when you're in the middle position. They do sound quite different , bridge vs out of phase

Comment

I would connect the pickups direct to a jack just to take the pickups out of the equation.

Comment

i have the wlh and while i dont find it bright, i can see how someone who is used to a hotter pup would find it so. it does have some teleish characteristics

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i have the wlh and while i dont find it bright, i can see how someone who is used to a hotter pup would find it so. it does have some teleish characteristics
            That's also what I figured. Did you listen to the audio I posted from a few posts before? does it sound anything like yours?

Comment

I don't see any link to audio clips. But looking at the photos, the Duncan wire colors appear to be wired correctly. The tone caps are obscuring two of the push-pulls, so I can't confirm, but I'm not seeing how they did the phase/series part of the wiring. For example, I don't see the typical X pattern for phase reverse on the push pulls. Maybe they did something tricky that should work, but I don't recognize how it's wired (and FWIW I've done several Jimmy Page wiring schemes in my guitars and drawn/designed at least 17 variants, e.g. 6 switches vs 4 switches, etc. - but there are a few more out there I don't use and are less familiar with.)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                I don't see any link to audio clips. But looking at the photos, the Duncan wire colors appear to be wired correctly. The tone caps are obscuring two of the push-pulls, so I can't confirm, but I'm not seeing how they did the phase/series part of the wiring. For example, I don't see the typical X pattern for phase reverse on the push pulls. Maybe they did something tricky that should work, but I don't recognize how it's wired (and FWIW I've done several Jimmy Page wiring schemes in my guitars and drawn/designed at least 17 variants, e.g. 6 switches vs 4 switches, etc. - but there are a few more out there I don't use and are less familiar with.)
                My mistake, I didn't copy the link. Here it is , tell me what you think.

and this is the diagram I gave my guitar tech prior to installing the harness : https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1637257474

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  how does this sound compared to yours?

Comment

Originally posted by Majdestic View Post
                    My mistake, I didn't copy the link. Here it is , tell me what you think.

and this is the diagram I gave my guitar tech prior to installing the harness : https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...f?v=1637257474
                    The recording sounds lower powered, but not bad. To me it just sounds like a clean or lower powered amp.

The 920 diagram is a little odd to me, it seems based on the old Seymour Duncan diagram. I believe it should work fine, but it's not the way I've ever wired mine. It also doesn't show the connections to the pickup selector or the jack, so there's that.

My Whole Lottas are beefy. They have a smooth top end, but they don't sound thin even when clean. What pickups were you using before? Do you have your amp set for a really really hot set of ceramic pickups or something? You might need to just adjust the height of the pickups and the settings on your amp.

Comment

I also think everything sounds right and all you can do is adjust things (or mod).
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

The recording sounds lower powered, but not bad. To me it just sounds like a clean or lower powered amp.

The 920 diagram is a little odd to me, it seems based on the old Seymour Duncan diagram. I believe it should work fine, but it's not the way I've ever wired mine. It also doesn't show the connections to the pickup selector or the jack, so there's that.

My Whole Lottas are beefy. They have a smooth top end, but they don't sound thin even when clean. What pickups were you using before? Do you have your amp set for a really really hot set of ceramic pickups or something? You might need to just adjust the height of the pickups and the settings on your amp.
                        The recording was done on a clean amp just to give a proper sound approximation of the pick up. I did add some lite overdrive towards the end.

The amp is a Hiwatt, so very clean and mid focused.

I tried it on my other Laney 12r cub amp and the sound is still the same, don't think this is an amp problem.

I had the stock 498 490 on the guitar before. The current neck pick I absolutely love. The bridge is just making me question everything. I did install the 920 harness at the same time I swapped the PUPs, so I don't know if the wiring is causing the issue. Again, maybe I was just used to a beefier bridge pick up and this one sounds twangier, but also feels less powerful, when I switch from neck to bridge I instantly feel the 'weakness or twanginess'.
                        I did try and raise or lower the pick ups, I have it rn very close to the strings, any lower and its too weak.

What diagram do you recommend?

Comment

that sounds fine to me, i think you are just used to something hotter.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with it. If you want to change the sound, you have to faf with things. Faf with the heights, remove the cover, swap an A2 in, lower the volume pot value, turn the tone down, turn the pup around 180. There's lots of things you can do but it's up to you how you want to approach it.
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                            X