Rio Grande Twangbucker vs. lil 59

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Grande Twangbucker vs. lil 59

I'm considering putting humbuckers in my tele, but I still want to be able to get that tele twang through coil splits. Would you recommend the Rio Grande twangbucker or the lil 59 for tele? Lets not discuss the routing that will have to happen yet, I want an evaluation purely on tone.

Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Re: Rio Grande Twangbucker vs. lil 59

ive never tried the twangbucker but the lil 59 is a nice pup, bigger and warmer than a stock tele with more output than still sounds nice clean

Comment

i would actually like to hear the twangbucker
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

I had the Twangbucker set in an old parts tele that I sold. The humbucker mode was big and bright, with a tight low end and a cool snarl to the upper mids. When split, the same basic character is there, with some added sparkle and openness to the mids, nbut some of the "balls" were gone. It's not a bad pickup set by any means, but I wish the split sounds were as ballsy I preffer my Tele's to be.

I've never played the Lil 59 for Tele, but one of the best "tele" sounds I heard from a split or parallel 'bucker was from a JB Jr in in parallel in the bridge slot of an EB Musicman Albert Lee Model.

According to Evan, the Lil 59 for Tele was based on Duncan's attempts at making a JB Jr for tele, so I imagine that the Lil 59 won't let you down.
        Last edited by Benjy_26; 01-15-2005, 06:37 PM.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
        X