Help with Singles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Singles

Ok, I'm building a strat (from a kit) and need some recommendations for pups to be used in each slot. It's a basswood body with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard and I'll be playing it through a Mesa/Boogie F-50

Anyway, I'm looking for a tone that is NOT the vintage stratocaster tone. I'm a Les Paul guy truthfully, so I want something more Les Paul sounding than strat. I play mostly classic rock (i.e. Zeppelin, Cream, Pink Floyd, etc.), but also some jazz as well. I don't do anything much heavier than Zeppelin. Basically I want some nice, warm cleans for jazz and some sweet, smooth, singing distortion.

I was thinking the Everything Axe set which consists of a JB Jr. for the bridge, Duckbucker for the middle, and Lil' 59 for the neck. Would this be a good setup?
    Check out my music here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=647174

Re: Help with Singles

Originally posted by JPP
    I was thinking the Everything Axe set which consists of a JB Jr. for the bridge, Duckbucker for the middle, and Lil' 59 for the neck. Would this be a good setup?
    That's what I was going to suggest...
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

I would say lil 59 or JB jr for the bridge depending on how aggressive you want the bridge pup to sound. A lot of folks like the duck buckers but I haven't tried them and therefore, cannot make an intelligent statement about them.

If you go for any regular singles I recommend the Alinco 2 pro singles with flat poles. They aren't high output and are definitely stratty but have more mids and are warmer overall.

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Or you may put three 59lil. That will definetly will be close to a LP.

Comment

3 lil 59's or a hotrail, cool or vintage rails and another cool or vintage in the neck
          Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Or you could put three minihumbuckers. That would be cool!!

Or three lipstick single coils, but it depends on how much output do you need...

Comment

I used a Duck n, lil '59 m, Hotrail b in my Mahogany Hardtail Strat. It worked great 'til my faulty wiring gave out. I have moved the Lil '59 to the neck in an attempt to fix the wiring problem. It sounds good in both slots, definiately not Straty. The Hotrail has it's own Vol and the Duck-Lil 59 are wired to a three way Tele switch.

I have considered replacing the Duck with another Lil 59 and using a 5-way Strat switch to split the coils. I think a Strat with a pair of Lil 59s plus (?) in the bridge, would make a great Hard Rock guitar.

I noticed a little difference in the output between the Duck and the 59, and the Hotrail is of course much Hotter. But with it's own Vol, it doesn't matter.
              Lil 59, Duck, Cool Rail (n,m,b) might have been a better choice for me.
              I haven't tried the Lil JB or the Lil Demon yet.

So I guess my point is Lil 59s rock! Whether you use 1, 2 or 3 of them, I would definitately include them in the mix. And check out Lew's Strat wiring diagram with the blend pot (I don't think he came up with it, but he's the one that showed it to me).

Hopefully there is something in there that will be of help (I feel like I'm Ramblin, and not in a good way). I play the same kind of music, what people now call Classic Rock. At the time we just called it Rock. I think you can definately play some Zeppelin through Lil 59s. But if you play Floyd, you're gonna need a real Strat IMO. I don't think it's physically possible to play Floyd with a Les Paul.

Let me know if that made any sense. If not, I'll just keep my mouth shut 'till I'm feeling better.
              Steve
              I don't mean to offend, I just have a knack for it.

Duncans used; Lil '59, Ducky & Hotrail in my Mahogany Hardtail Strat;
              Brobucker and Cool Rail are on hold for future projects.

:banana: :rocket: "Dance Banana Boy, Dance!"

Comment

Working...
              X