banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Problem/Help needed, shocker huh ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Problem/Help needed, shocker huh ?

Hey all, Sorry if this is long.

Here's the deal, ran a TB-5 (covered) for a while and it eventually developed a feedback issue. Ultimately I swapped it out for a new TB-6 (covered) and it has now started developing the same type of feedback problem. Basically they both now squeal at medium volume (high gain amp).

I noticed that firm pressure on the center of the cover stopped the feedback so I figured it must be a potting problem/failure. So I pulled the P/U apart, cleaned out all the old wax and re-potted the crap out of it, literally clamping the cover and base together till wax came out of the pole pieces and then soldered while still clamped.Apparently closing any gaps by a noticeable margin as now the pole pieces stick up much more. Figured that should do it....

Well....Nada, same problem. Then I noticed that even the wire coming from the pickup itself is very sensitive to the touch. Moving it and pinching it between your fingers makes all kinds of pops and crackles. The TB-5 I reinstalled just to verify and it does the exact same thing now two. Very sensitive wire harness.

So..... I put in another new pickup (high output) and no problems what so ever. No feedback till ridiculous high volumes and the wiring is dead silent.

So what gives? Are these just failing somewhere inside? Any ideas or scrap metal now? Covers still look great after all this time so I can't imagine corrosion being a factor.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Working...
X