Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions!! Epi LP reccomendations

Hi there,

I have a 6yo Epiphone LP Gold Top and feel that it needs some new life breathing back into it. I'm only starting to pick it up again after a 3 year absense from playing (damn uni!) but am not exactly enthusiastic about the sound it's making. Now this might have something to do with my amp (a Laney solid state Hardcore 30W thingy). Now I have three options here. I can either change the pickups, the amp or get a Line 6 POD amp simulator (or if I can stretch it get the pickups and the POD).

I have no idea which options are going to get me the best improvement for my money (that's why I'm leaning away from getting a new amp as I'd want to get an all valve one which means loadsa £££).

I've just spent the best part of an hour listening to the different sound clips for humbuckers on this site and am getting very confused.

I have decided that I want the APH-1 Alnico II Pro in the bridge position for clean stuff and the SH-55 Seth Lover ModelT in the bridge position for distorted stuff (going by the clips in the demos), Now you might have noticed my dilema here . For the neck I'm still undecided between the SH-55 Seth Lover Model and the SH-1'59TM Model.

I like playing a lot of rock and distorted stuff like Nirvana, Pumpkins, some Metallica etc but I always find I get more satisfaction from a guitar when I play classic rock/blues like zepplin/hendrix etc. So I figured I'd rather go for a more classic sound and then just pile in the distortion for metal stuff but I don't know, maybe I should be going for the APH-1 Alnico II Pro at the bridge as this covers both options a bit better???

I'm sure any pickup changes will be better than what I have now I just don't want to have a niggling doubt. From a quick read on these forums everyone seems to be singing the praises of the 59's but I haven't heard much about the Seths, are they as good?

Will I even notice a difference as my amp isn't that great, and if so, shall i get a new amp or a POD amp sim?

Any advice much appreciated

Re: Decisions!! Epi LP reccomendations

welcome to the board ...

honestly, of the 3 choices you listed nothing will give you as dramatic instant improvement as the POD .. huge versatility .. great tones ... .. with new pickups AND the POD, you'll be set until you can afford a better amp altogether ...

for classic rock / blues i think a set of Seths would be incredible (but a bit more pricey than other choices) ... a set of 59's or a set of AIIPs would be all good as well .. perhaps the AIIP n and a 59b would be the killer combo for you ...

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I'm comming around to your suggestion of the AlincoII with the 59's too. I'm going to the local guitar shop at the weekend to see what they think and get some prices. A POD is definatly on my shopping list for this months and the pickups might have to wait until next (I am owed £800 in tax which I should get next month, that + a credit card == Gibson LP? hmmm tempting )

Comment

Hey man welcome to the board!! I want to first say that we do our best to help everyone even though it may take more time than you'd like.

I've got a Jazz neck and Alnico 2 Pro bridge in my heritage 150 (heritage LP) and it smokes. You will be able to cover good territory with either combo you are looking at. I love the jazz neck b/c of its clarity with or without gain. My bass player said "that's what a neck pup should sound like". The 59 and seth are great pups as well. I prefer the A5 magnet in the neck thus my use of the jazz.

I'll be honest though and tell you it will be hard if not impossible to get a metallica sound with these pups but you can get close with plenty of gain!!

Again, welcome!

Luke
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Duke
          I'll be honest though and tell you it will be hard if not impossible to get a metallica sound with these pups but you can get close with plenty of gain!!
          I don't play that much metallica/slayer type stuff because frankly I'm not that good and I prefer to listen to it than play it. And besides I have more than enough pedals to get a extremly high gain thrash sound . Which reminds me, I heard that Billy Corgan ran 16 Big Muff pedals in series when recording Heavy Metal Machine. Which I still find funny .

Comment

Working...
          X