banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the resistor doing in this diagram?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the resistor doing in this diagram?

what's the 56k resistor in the tone pot doing?

I have no idea.

I have a 1k resistor. what would happen if i used that one?

Re: What is the resistor doing in this diagram?

I can't say exactly what the resistor does without thinking about it for a minute...but common sense says that if you did that, you would have 1/56 of the specified resistance. That's a **** of a lot less resistance. Regardless of what the resistor does, do you honestly think that would work out? I'd do yourself a solid, and just go spend three cents on a resistor of the specified value.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The resistor in conjunction with the capacitor make up a "high-pass" filter or "treble bleed" circuit.
      Changing the resistor value will affect the frequencies that are allowed to pass.

A quick search for "treble bleed" will tell you more than you probably want to know
      THE LOST ART OF BEING STOIC
      1. Quit your whining.
      2. Quit your crying.
      3. Suck it up.
      If in doubt, ask yourself: What would Clint do?

Comment

Resisting 56k times less than the 1k?
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos View Post
          A quick search for "treble bleed" will tell you more than you probably want to know
          I only got circuit diagrams?

Comment

It's providing a small series resistance ie. overall volume drop after the tone is rotated some small amount, maybe around 8-9 on the control? That fits with the jag I played where the sound gets darker and a bit quieter as you roll off. It's probably only useful if you want the tone to also work as a subtle lead/rhythm control.

If you wanted it to work like a normal tone, you can just skip that right-hand lug of the tone pot and connect that wire directly to the middle lug, or even to the left-hand lug of the volume like a strat or tele. Or you could replace the resistor with a bit of wire. Your 1k resistor is pretty close to wire in this context. In my opinion any of those will be more useful than the original.

As a side note, I looked up the original Duncan diagram... the fact that it lacks that resistor is a mistake - without it the tone will work like a retarded volume and never roll off highs at all.

Comment

Guys . . . that's not a treble bleed. Thats a variation of my "sparkle-tone" mod. (Not to say that I'm the only one who thought of it.)

Basically, with the tone control all the way up, (on 10), that resistor is removed from the circuit. So, with that other toggle "up", and the tone knob on 10, the bridge pup is on. As you roll the tone knob down, you simultaneously roll off the highs, and roll down the volume level of the bridge.

If you change that resistor to 1K, the bridge will effectively be on all the time.

Comment

I hope I haven't completely misunderstood ArtieToo's post, but you never have a situation where the neck is on via the upper circuit at the same time the bridge is on through the lower circuit. Upper is neck-only, lower is any combination of neck and bridge through the lower controls.

At least, I thought the reason you called it "sparkle-tone" is because it changes the way the pickups blend when combined.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  Guys . . . that's not a treble bleed. Thats a variation of my "sparkle-tone" mod. (Not to say that I'm the only one who thought of it.)

Basically, with the tone control all the way up, (on 10), that resistor is removed from the circuit. So, with that other toggle "up", and the tone knob on 10, the bridge pup is on. As you roll the tone knob down, you simultaneously roll off the highs, and roll down the volume level of the bridge.

If you change that resistor to 1K, the bridge will effectively be on all the time.
                  No offense, but I think you're wrong. I ended up putting the 1K resistor in the circuit to hear the effects myself, my bridge pickup isn't on all the time.

I don't have traditional jaguar wiring.

I have a gibson style 3 way toggle and the rhythm circuit.

1 Meg audio taper volume and tone pots, .022 cap on the tone, and now a 1k resistor in the tone as well, like in the diagram.

I honestly can't tell if the resistor is doing anything, which I reckon means it's value is too low to affect the circuit at a level I can actually hear.

I'm going to pick up a 56K resistor and report how it all goes.

As for now, in conclusion.. the 1k resistor is basically just taking up space on my tone pot.

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
                    I hope I haven't completely misunderstood ArtieToo's post, but you never have a situation where the neck is on via the upper circuit at the same time the bridge is on through the lower circuit. Upper is neck-only, lower is any combination of neck and bridge through the lower controls.

At least, I thought the reason you called it "sparkle-tone" is because it changes the way the pickups blend when combined.
                    Exactly, the switch literally switches between 2 different wiring schemes.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                      No offense, but I think you're wrong. I ended up putting the 1K resistor in the circuit to hear the effects myself, my bridge pickup isn't on all the time.
                      I would never take offense at anyone telling me I'm wrong. Especially when I am.

I was originally looking at that diagram on my cell phone. Now I printed it out, and see where my mistake is. That toggle is the neck/bridge switch, so of course the bridge signal is fed to that resistor. I believe you all are correct that that may be a treble bleed circuit. But it also appears, (because its on the tone pot), to possibly modify the log curve of the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                        I honestly can't tell if the resistor is doing anything, which I reckon means it's value is too low to affect the circuit at a level I can actually hear.

I'm going to pick up a 56K resistor and report how it all goes.

As for now, in conclusion.. the 1k resistor is basically just taking up space on my tone pot.
                        Exactly. The 56k won't be much different. The effect will be to lower the overall volume a touch when you roll off the tone.

@ArtieToo: you're not crazy, it's definitely not a treble bleed/"high-pass" circuit.

It's effectively a regular tone with a small resistor that ends up in series with the signal at some point during it's travel.

I'm getting the uncanny feeling nobody read my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by ParameterMan View Post
                          Exactly. The 56k won't be much different. The effect will be to lower the overall volume a touch when you roll off the tone.

@ArtieToo: you're not crazy, it's definitely not a treble bleed/"high-pass" circuit.

It's effectively a regular tone with a small resistor that ends up in series with the signal at some point during it's travel.

I'm getting the uncanny feeling nobody read my original post.
                          May I be the first to say . . .

I blame it on my smart-phone's small screen.

You are absolutely correct. It isn't a treble bleed. Here's the diagram of tone-on-10 and tone-on-zero:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaguar_resistor.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	5771908

Comment

Awesome. Your patience for making helpful diagrams far exceeds mine.

Comment

And thank you for giving me another reason to have a beer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dogfish_Head_90_Minute_IPA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	5771909

Comment

Working...
                              X