Demon in a Paul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon in a Paul?

Anybody ever try a Screamin' Demon in a Les Paul? What were the results? I've been tinkering with my ESP Skulls and Snakes and finally found the sweet spot where everything clicks tone-wise. I'm getting used to the lower output pickup-more tone setup and using a modded BOSS SD-1 for overdrive (redone to be better than an original Tubescreamer). I'm thinking about putting a Demon in my Standard. Opinions, recommendations?

Re: Demon in a Paul?

Demon is very clear with a lot of sizzle on the top end. Very articulate under high gain so it's great for solos. Played clean it's like a slightly brighter 59. It's pretty cool.
    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
    Originally posted by Sosomething
    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

i liked it in an alder-bodied superstrat with maple neck and fingerboard...put it in another alder/maple guitar, but with a rosewood board and thought it was too muddy.

in general, didn't feel like it got very good harmonics, something that's kinda important to me.

Comment

I've used a Screamin' Demon in 2 Les Pauls. 1 was my Gordon Smith Graduate60 (Mahogany/Maple cap) and the other was my Epi LP (Not sure of woods).

I find the Demon to be quite a 'full' sounding pickup, with excess treble available if required. I play mainly 60s and 70s rock and it's has a very nice 'crunch' to it that suits this style of music very well imo.

Craig

Comment

The Demon is cool, I had one in my alder/maple necked Strat. Never tried it in mahog. It is a good pickup for leads, it can be kind of shrill though. If you switch out the hex pole pieces for regular slotted screws the shrillness is lessened and IMO the pickup sounds a whole lot better. You will get more mids out of it. This truns it into an equally good rhythm pickup.
          Last edited by big_black; 01-19-2005, 06:26 AM.

Comment

I have a Demon in a Alder bodied,Maple top and neck with Rosewood fretboard and its the best sounding pickup i`ve ever had for rhythm and leads!!!!!! I know someone who has a Demon in a Les Paul and it sounds killer!!!

Comment

Great in a Paul for rock n' crunch, articulate under gain and great all round - NOT mega high output or classic PAF despite its name and splits really well (slug side is best for me).
              I put it in my studio and in another LP "type" mahogany/maple after a LOT of experimentation and I couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by big_black
                If you switch out the hex pole pieces for regular slotted screws the shrillness is lessened and IMO the pickup sounds a whole lot better. You will get more mids out of it. This truns it into an equally good rhythm pickup.
                That sounds pretty cool actually. How do you think that would go in the neck of a Paul?
                Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                Originally posted by Sosomething
                "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by korovamilkdud
                  That sounds pretty cool actually. How do you think that would go in the neck of a Paul?
                  In the neck? I don't know. There is someone here who uses a Demon in the neck, but I have never heard it. I might be kind of boomy, mine was bass heavy on the wound strings. It sounded good considering Strats can have a high trebble response. Try it out and see how it sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by big_black
                    In the neck? I don't know. There is someone here who uses a Demon in the neck, but I have never heard it. I might be kind of boomy, mine was bass heavy on the wound strings. It sounded good considering Strats can have a high trebble response. Try it out and see how it sounds.

OK, thish might sound strange, but, how about just moving the polepieces around?

What I mean is, still have six hex and six fillisters, but having the bass strings have nothing but hexes and the plain strings nothing but screws. It might make it brighter in the wound strings and fatter in the plain. That would be very cool for the neck, and it might make it into something close to a "5-2 humbucker" .

Or, I might just be crazy.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

3 Cent Hero did that, but I don't know how it sounds. My Strat needed some warmth so I thought slot-heads were the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                      X