Polepiece size and string pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polepiece size and string pull

I'm wondering about the relationship between these two things. I have two pickups that I really like the sound of but the string pull is a bit much seems like.....even with the pickups set low.

The two pickups in question are the PAF Pro and the Humbucker From Hell....both have the Dimarzio type hex polepieces but they are a touch larger than some of the other models like the Super3 or Evolution but the same size as the Screamin Demon.

My question would be I guess....do larger pole-pieces necessarily mean more string pull if the magnets are equal?? Or maybe the A5's on these two pickups are very large/strong?

Anyone have any insight??

What about positioning the polepieces....should I sink them in the pickup to get more sustain or should I raise them and lower the entire pickup??

Re: Polepiece size and string pull

Good question... I would like to know this too... One observation i have made is with my Rio Grande Muy Grande pickups they have large pole pieces for a strat pickup yet they pull less and can be run closer to the string than any other single coils I've had... If i had a guess I would say its a combination of factors... Sorry I dont have any direct insight but it is an interesting question. As far as setting the pole pieces go I usually set them at the bottom then adjust the pickup height then use the pole pieces to tweak the response of each string...
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

bump

Comment

I think it's mostly due to the magnetic force of the pickup itself. AS far as how to set them, it's up to what sound you want. If you sink the poles and raise the pickup, it'll get fatter. If you raise the poles and sink the pickup, it'l lget brighter and the mids will open up a bit.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
        X