Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback Problems with distorted sounds

Hi Everyone

I have an Ibanez SZ-320 fitted with a brand new JB pup and I play it through a Duoverb. I have no probs whatsover when I use clean settings no matter how far it's cranked up, but when I use the distortion settings (Dual Rectifier emulation) I experience a lot of feedback when I use a volume that's necessary during rehearsal. Is there a way of getting rid of the feedback?
    I read in one thread that it could help putting bubble wrap under the pup. Can you elaborate on that, or is there another way of eliminating the irritating feedback which occurs during hi-gain distortion settings?

Thanks in advance for your input

Re: Feedback Problems with distorted sounds

Try pushing your finger onto the pickup and pickguard to see if that dampens it.
    JB's come potted, so it's unlikely that it needs it, however it's always possible.
    It's most likely the pickup and guard resonating into a microphonic squeal. I had that problem mostly with aluminum strat guards and my solution was to stripe the bottom of the guard with black electrical tape, and trim the excess. Also, I ran a few strips of tape across the bottom of the guard, right over the bottoms of the pickups.
    Try running some pieces of black tape across the bottoms of your pickups to dampen any resonance. If it still squeals when the gain is up and you're standing near the amp, you may have to dunk the pickup in melted parafin wax, which you can buy in the baking section at the grocery store. Just melt the wax in a pot without boiling it, and dunk the pickup in it till all the little bubbles come up. I like to put a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the pan to keep the pickup from getting direct heat.
    Then, pull it out and throw it in the fridge for 15 minutes, wipe it clean, and install it.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

could it be the amp? i remember trying a duoverb in a shop as i wanted to buy one. but the thing was feedbacking too much so i decided to go elsewhere.
      Cornford Hellcat
      Peavey 5150 - Marshall 1960A cab

Ibanez 1994 Jem7VWH - Stock
      Fender Strat - Fullshred/Duckbucker/lil59
      Fender Strat - Jb Jr bridge + 2x Fender Single coils
      Fender 1976 Precision Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueLightRideTV

Comment

Hi
        Thanks for your replies...I'll look into your instructions....I'll also try some other amps but I really don't think that's the problem..I'm actually very content with my Duoverb..But thanks I'll keep you posted if interested...

Miki

Comment

Did you figure it out yet? JB's are practically designed for highgain, so it's gotta be the way it's interacting with the pickguard or maybe the mounting springs need to have more tension, to tighten it up in the ring. A piece of bubblewrap or foam underneath may help, too.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

BUBBLE WRAP, BUBBLE WRAP. Just put some under the pickup to keep it from moving but not too much or it will still do it. The pickup vibrates with alot of volume or distortiion or both and you need to keep it from vibrating so the feedback stops. This is a 1st step and if it does not work you then need to dip it in wax as the knowlwdgable Gearjoneser stated. He knows what hes talking about so listen.
            My bands links:

PEDL
            www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
            www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
            www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I haven't found the time I'l look into it tonight and write you back

Thanks again

Comment

I have an ESP EX 151, and I also get feedback problems with distortion. I noticed though that when I push down on the volume knobs a little bit, it seems to quite the feedback down a little bit.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Hi again

Don't know about the volume, though it sounds like a semi-defective volume knob to me....
                  I tried the pushing down part on the pup but it didn't seem to help, I guess the wax part must be next course of action when I've done that I'll post again..but thanks again all it's nice to know that there are so many out there willing to share their knowledge and experience..

Final question is there anybody who use an effect (pedal or rack-thing) to eliminate feedback...preferably a cheap way...??

I'll wax on wax off and get back to you.....

M

Comment

Working...
                  X