Hb103n?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hb103n?

i found a seymour duncan HB-103N for around 10$ (used) and i was woundering if they are any good? I play alot of metal on my guitar so if it's got a nice distortion that would be nice but if it has a good clean that would be nice to for some of the softer stuff i play. anyways if you could let me know what u think about this pickup that would be great! also how much does a new one of these go for?

Re: Hb103n?

the 103n is the duncan designed version of the Distortion neck. i like the sound of that pup but others may not. it cleans up well too.
    -Greg

Guitars:
    2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
    2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
    2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
    Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

the hb103n came stock in my shecter c1+. Although im changing it soon its a great pup for not being authentic SD. If you want a thicker sound for metal it works. and it sounds best imo for guns n roses. SD does not sell the HB103n however they recently brought out the same thing on musicians friend with a differennt name ( i think its called the buckshot or detonator) for around 30$. I think 10$ is a great investment for a pickup ( hell if you dont like it you only lost 10 bucks, which you probably will like it) good luck

Comment

I think it all depends on what are you going to replace. As far as I know Duncan Designed pickups aren't the top of the class, they are more on the "middle of the class". They are intended to be loaded in medium price guitars. So, if you already have this kind of guitar, probably you are going nowhere.

I don't believe in spending more money if you aren't going for a better thing. Otherwise it would be a waste.

Comment

you gotta define 'better' in terms of tone man, people spend all their playing lives trying to do that

hell, the way i look at it, $10 got you into the world of aftermarket pickups. if you have a crack at installing it yourself, you've gotten yourself a better understanding of how guitar electronics work!

in terms of trying to get a nice clean sound from a hotter pickup, knock back the volume pot... players like jimi h and BB king always had the amp running as loud as they could get, but have the guitar's volume right down.. try it if you like, you can really hear the difference in the guitar's response to pick attack..

tom

Comment

I recently bought a Schecter C1+ which has the HB-103's in it.
            I was not impressed... So I'm changing mine to a pair of EMG's. I play mostly metal and can't say this pup does the job very well. Maybe If you've got a real nice amp with great distortion?
            The clean sounds are decent but if you wanna shred metal? Forget it!
            Rek Custom Guitar (Duncan Full Shred set)
            Peavey Vandenberg Ed.2 (Tom Anderson HN3, DiMarzio Chopper)
            Peavey Vandenberg Custom Quilt Top (Stock pickups)

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
              you gotta define 'better' in terms of tone man, people spend all their playing lives trying to do that

hell, the way i look at it, $10 got you into the world of aftermarket pickups. if you have a crack at installing it yourself, you've gotten yourself a better understanding of how guitar electronics work!

in terms of trying to get a nice clean sound from a hotter pickup, knock back the volume pot... players like jimi h and BB king always had the amp running as loud as they could get, but have the guitar's volume right down.. try it if you like, you can really hear the difference in the guitar's response to pick attack..

tom
              You know what... You are right! You have to know what you can expect from it.

Comment

I have 3 of these well, 2 b and a n. It really depends on the guitar, I have a LTD 24 fret floyd type guitar and I love it in there. I change it and I end up putting it back. Ive tried my nickel ones in my Gibson Studio and they suck, but in a real heavy Hohner LP copy, they sound fantastic. 10 bucks, have fun try it.

Comment

You might notice a pair of HB103's on eBay for $2.25. Please don't bid against me.

(Not that its likely to stay at that amount.)

Comment

they wont go higher than 25 i assure you

Comment

If it goes over $10 . . . it'll be someone else's.

Comment

I like the HB103 a lot, but only in the neck. I've never been satisfied with the sound of one in the bridge.
                        ---------------------------
                        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Working...
                        X