Dimarzio Metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dimarzio Metal?

My favorite Dimarzio is the Super 3 it will do metal very well... So will the Evolution or Super Distortion. But if the EMG sound is what you want go for it, dont worry about the added maintenance of the battery. Over christmas I left my guitar plugged in in the rehearsal room for 9 days and when i came back the batter is still good... Wasnt that fresh to begin with either...
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
    you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I think Screamingdaisy figured out that it'd take several months of being plugged in non-stop to kill them.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thank you all for your opinions!

I'm running my Jackson SLSMG Soloist Guitar through a 100 Watt Stereo Sound Marshall Combo Amplifier. I'm also using a Metalzone MT-2 Distortion pedal, as well as a Boss Blues Driver Pedal (wonderful for adding a thick bass tone, which compliments the sometimes trebly MT2 amazingly well).

"EMGs aren't that much more than Duncans, plus, how do you "take care of active humbuckers"? Change the battery after every 3000 hours of playing time? Aside from that, there's no difference in "care.""

Eh, maybe a good thirty or fourty dollars more then per Duncan, so it'll cost me more in the long run. Where I can get a set of Duncans for maybe 125 at a local store, I can get a Zakk Wylde set for upwards of 190, perhaps slightly lower. But I do think I'll just toss in the money and get them...

And battery life was exactly what I was talking about, although the setup and wiring of the passive pickups on my Jackson to the active pickups are supposedly difficult and costly. I personally am not positive, I just know what i hear. I heard a rumor that you would need to change the batteries every 3 months, and I just want to make sure that that's not the case, because that seems somewhat tedious.

"You said before that you bought a "lead guitar." What exactly is a lead guitar?"

The guitar I bought was a Jackson Soloist SLSMG.
        Last edited by TDevilG; 01-19-2005, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I find my DiMarzio Super Distortion to be a very fat, smooth, and chunky pup. Lots of emphasis on sustain-heavy leads and an overall saturated tone. I love it Sounds very good split too.
          Watch My Videos
          Photography
          www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
          "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

Acutally with emgs quick connect system and being they include the pots and output jack with new pickups I would be willing to bet emgs would be as easy if not easier to put in than Seymours. Theres no real black voodoo in installing actives... I can understand the battery life concern to an extent... But they never just konk out on you... As far as the money difference goes if thats they sound you want its more than worth the price difference
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Very true Edge, thanks.

From the sounds of things, it looks like I can't go wrong with any of the choices that have been given to me.

I've been leaning towards the EMG81 and EMG85 combo since the beginning because I'm essentially replacing EMGs FOR EMGs, and it would make sense to do so if they were originally placed in there.

My only other concern? I've heard that EMGs "Mask the sound" of a guitar sometimes, as if they "coat" tones and don't really allow the true sound of the guitar to show through, as if the EMGs are far more powerful then the natural sound of the guitar itself.

Comment

I guess that I'm spoiled. There's a local shop here that sells EMGs for $75 a piece. I bet you could go into the closest Guitar Center, lay $150 on the counter, and walk out with the Zakk set

You should NOT be charged any more for an EMG installation than a typical passive install. They are no more difficult, the only difference (basically) being that there's a battery wire. Don't let having to change the battery affect your decision, either. Even if you changed it once a month, it's no more difficult than changing the battery in a distortion pedal. There's really no set schedule they need changed on, either. Whenever they start sounding "wrong" (you'll know it), put a new one in.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks again JB, I'll make sure to lay down that much more reasonable price!

Comment

The EMG battery issue is way blown out of proportion. I gigged for a full year 3 times/week before I even thought about changing the battery and everything was fine.

It's amazing how these rumors get passed on as fact after a while.

Same thing with them being sterile or not letting the wood through....it's blown out of proportion.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
                      This statement is a VERY broad generalization. The only one I'd agree with is the Super D, as it was the only pickup available for quite awhile in the 70's.
                      I know, I really didn't provide any information at all eh? My mind is numbest in the middle of the afternoon, go figure. They all can be used for a variety of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli
                        The EMG battery issue is way blown out of proportion. I gigged for a full year 3 times/week before I even thought about changing the battery and everything was fine.

It's amazing how these rumors get passed on as fact after a while.

Same thing with them being sterile or not letting the wood through....it's blown out of proportion.
                        I agree it does get blown out of proportion...

Comment

Working...
                        X