Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X2N with single coils?

Okay, this combination is probably going to sound bizarre to most people:
    I've got a early 90's Yamaha with an alder body (S/S/H Configuration), standard Strat bridge. The X2N is of course in the bridge position, but I want some hot Duncan single coils, or stacked humbuckers to replace the middle and neck stock pickups. Preferably, rails, to keep the aesthetic value with X2N. I've thought about going with Dimarzio's again (such as Fasttrack1, Pro Track, or the Chopper), I thought some Duncans might be the way to go. How about Hot Rails, or the Live Wire Hot? The thing is, I play a lot of lead with the neck single coils, but I want that fatter humbucker sound. The X2N I primarily use for ballsy rhythm. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Re: X2N with single coils?

Definately Hot Rails, with perhaps a Cool Rails in the middle.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Milliamps versus ?

Thanks, man. Would the Cool Rails in the middle cause any major output dropouts? Also, with apologies to my naivety about pickups here, Dimarzio rates their outputs in mA (milliamps), but Duncan does not? There's got to be
      a way to compare output levels through sheer numbers, right?

Comment

I have no idea about hot rails output or tone, but I think you could try two hot rails neck in neck and middle spot if you are worried about the volume dropout. If you think the middle won't be strong enought you could try a hotrails bridge in the middle but I don't know if that will be too much...

Anyway, X2N it is already too much.

Comment

Re: Milliamps versus ?

Originally posted by drejr77
          Thanks, man. Would the Cool Rails in the middle cause any major output dropouts?

There will be an output difference, but it's nothing you can't solve without tweaking the heights of the pickups.

Also, with apologies to my naivety about pickups here, Dimarzio rates their outputs in mA (milliamps), but Duncan does not? There's got to be
          a way to compare output levels through sheer numbers, right?
          Not really. Unfortunately, the output of a pickup is a somewhat subjective affair. With my playing style and rig, the same pickup can sound completely different when you are using it through your rig.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Compatibility issues?

Thanks Benjy, Monrollo for the insight. Yes, I know the X2N is too much already, but at the time, that's where my head was at. I was looking to get the hottest passive pickup money can buy, and I think the X2N is it. It does sort of have a neutral tonality, though, which isn't a bad thing. Kind of let's the guitar's resonance come through a little more naturally. However, I'm thinking nowadays that the Duncan's have more character possibly.
            Benjy, you're absolutely correct about the height of the pickups. The tech that set it up for me may have backed off the height of the X2N a little for slightly less output? The funny thing is, when I play through line level processors (such as the Digitech RP-1) the output seems to be the same as
            my two standard single coils. Is that inherent when not using amps? Forgive
            me for that one, but I was on the "Tom Scholz" direct record trip for a while.
            When using amps though, (especially tube ones, obviously) I noticed the difference. I think I will go with the Hot Rails on the neck and the Cools Rails in the middle.
            One more thing, somebody told me that some techs recommend sticking with one brand (i.e. Dimarzio's with Dimarzio's) for compatibility issues. Any insight? Thanks for letting me vent.

Comment

About the compatibility I think the only problem you can have are the polarity and the winding directions. But thoose can be easily solved nowadays... 4-conductor pickups can let you do almost anything you can imagine.

And about tone...

NO RULES!!!

Comment

Love those artificial harmonics...

Mongrollo, thanks man for reminding me of the "no rules" regarding tone. I attended a music school at one point, and they used to have a motto there,
                "There are no rules, only guidelines". Thanks for the guidelines. However, in
                your opinion, do you prefer Duncans or Dimarzio's, and why? Just curious. I really utilize artificial harmonics when I play, and I'm wondering what the best Duncan is for that. Thanks.

Comment

Re: Love those artificial harmonics...

Mongrollo, thanks man for reminding me of the "no rules" regarding tone. I attended a music school at one point, and they used to have a motto there,
                  "There are no rules, only guidelines". Thanks for the guidelines. However, in
                  your opinion, do you prefer Duncans or Dimarzio's, and why? Just curious. I really utilize artificial harmonics when I play, and I'm wondering what the best Duncan is for that. Thanks.
                  I have to say that I have tried pickups (singles and buckers) from both brands and I was happy with all of them. The only times I was dissapointed was because the type of pickup wasn't for me not because of its quality.

If I had to say that i prefer one brand I will say SD because I like much better the way they present their products. It is much easier for me to have a previous idea of how the tone of the pickup it is going to be. Sometimes I read the pickup descriptions in Dimarzio and, in the end, I have no idea of what they are telling me...

For that style (and many others) I think the best recomendation can be the JB. I have played the JB quite a lot and I can remember it was pretty easy to get harmonics on with it. Anyway, I think you should look for more inputs on this one since I am not a big fan of high output pickups.

Comment

Thank you for all of the useful input. However, I don't want to sound picky here, but I think for aesthetic value I must stick with a rails-style humbucker that fits in the single coil slot, to match the X2N. I realize with 3 high output pickups, the guitar might not have much "character", but I play through some pretty heavily eq'd systems, anyway. So, between the Duncan Hotrails, and the Dimarzio Fast Track, what do you recommend?

Comment

Working...
                    X