Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Pickup Advice

Hi All,

To explain my current knowledge level, i will explain a little about how i came to want to wind my own pickups. Basically, i got bored, and during one of those youtube videos where you start watching a music video and end up watching a video about training geese to do your dishes, i stumbled accross a video on how to build an electic guitar. I have just about finished my first build, and its reasonably well (considering i have next to no wood-working experience). I went into the guitar build with the attitude of "What's the worst that can happen?" and a mis of that with low expectations have seemed to serve me well.

Anyway, i digress slightly. The next logical step to me, seems to be to wind my own pickups. How hard can that be? (he says knowing it's pretty hard!) Again i watched some youtube videos, and i dont think this is an insurmountable task, and will afford me the oppourtunity to learn a great deal.

But i have some questions, if anyone can help me (in words like me please - short and simple )

I am aiming to make Humbuckers for the SG-style guitar i built.

Firstly, i saw a post about the different types of Alnico magnets, and thats cool i get that. As I'm going to go pretty generic for my first winding i think im going to stick with the A5s, But there in itself lies a bit of confusion for me. What is an unorientated magnet? and how does this differ to an orientated(?) one?

Secondly, How much does the coating of the copper wire impact the tone/output/general "feel" of the pickup?

Thirdly, how do the screws impact the effectivness of the pickup? the OCD part of my brain dislikes the non-symetry of the humbucker that has 6 screws and 6 slugs. Could i get away with just using slugs, or just screws? (i have seen the SD Invaders... but not sure if they are made differently)

And finally, as i know very little about the whole pickup game, i have thought of a design which i am curious if it is used, or why it would be a bad idea. The main difference i see between Humbuckers and Tele/strat style pick ups, seems to be that instead of using a bar magnet the tele/strat styles use magnetised slugs. Would this work in a humbucker styled set up?

Thanks in advance for the help, and sorry if all of this is terribly basic!
Working...
X