banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the Middle pickup and other Tele Things....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the Middle pickup and other Tele Things....

Well, here I am again, trying to maximize the tone and efficiency of my Telecaster. Here's what I have.

• Hwy 1 Tele with -
    • Bridge - STK-T3b (Vintage Stack)
    • Middle - STK-S1n (Classic Stack for Strat)
    • Neck - Gibson minihumbucker

The mini in the neck is kind of cool; but I do miss the hollowness of a good single coil neck pickup. The bridge pickup will stay. I love the tone and ham-canceling. The middle pickup? Well, it has been getting in the way... I find that I do use the 2 and 4 positions on the switch but I also found that when I had my 52RI, that I didn’t miss what I didn't have...

I really do like the look of the middle pickup in there. I also like the look of a classic old Telecaster with the chrome neck pickup and no middle pickup. There are a number of things I'm thinking of doing. All involve removing the middle pickup…

1.Joe Wilson wiring – Now, I can’t a try Joe Wilson wiring scheme because that scheme uses a STL-2b in the bridge; plus I believe I would have to use a 4-pole 5-way switch.
    Quote from Duncan site – “This wiring was designed for one of our sales reps in the Southeast, Joe Wilson, who wanted to add some extra versatility to his Tele®, while retaining the stock look. For this scheme, we use our "tapped" Hot Lead (STL-2T) and a Vintage Rhythm (STR-1) pickups. We used a special 4-pole 5-way switch in place of the standard 3-way switch. In position 1, you'll get a hotter Tele lead sound. Position 2 will give a traditional Tele lead sound. Position 3 gives you both the rhythm and "traditional" lead sound in "parallel" (the typical Tele wiring). Position 4 gives the rhythm and "traditional" lead sound in "series," a warmer and fuller sound for smooth jazz runs. Position 5 gives you the rhythm pickup by itself. We also put in a push-pull pot on the tone control that reverses the phase of the neck pickup. This gives a nice, chiming, James Burton-esque sound in positions 3 and 4. Make sure that you cut the short bare wire between the cover and the black wire on the rhythm pickup. You must then run an additional wire from the cover to ground, so that the cover still shields the rhythm pickup. The 5-way switch we show here is Yamaha's 4-pole 5-way switch. The value of the push-pull pot should be 250k. Take your time wiring this one, and always take your guitar to your local technician if you are not comfortable wiring your own instrument.” I can, however, try something close like –

2.Power Boost wiring – This would be using a standard 3-way switch and a push-pull pot getting these settings –
    a. Pos. 1 - Bridge pickup normal
    b. Pos. 2 – Bridge and neck pickups in parallel
    c. Pos. 3 – Neck pickup normal
    d. Volume pot up – Bridge in Power Boost mode
    e. Tone pot up – Neck pickup in Power Boost mode

3.5-Way Custom wiring – This would be where I would the standard 5way switch with these settings –
    a. Pos. 1 – Bridge pickup normal
    b. Pos. 2 – bridge and neck pickups in series
    c. Pos. 3 – Bridge and neck pickups in parallel
    d. Pos. 4 – Bridge and neck pickups out of phase/parallel
    e. Pos. 5 – Neck pickup normal

4.4-Way wiring – This is when the setting of both pickups in series can be used.
    a. Pos. 1 – Bridge pickup normal
    b. Pos. 2 – Both pickups in parallel
    c. Pos. 3 – Both pickups in series
    d. Pos. 4 – Neck pickup normal

Again, this whole thing is based on me wanting the most out of my Tele while going back to the stock look. Yes, the middle pickup looks cool but all in all, when it’s used in the 2 & 4 positions, like a Strat, it really doesn’t sound that great…

Please give me some thoughts here; especially if you have an idea that I haven’t thought of…

Cheers,
    Last edited by BS123; 01-21-2005, 12:09 PM. Reason: Title Change
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Re: Removing the Middle pickup and other Tele Things....

Okay, I was going to edit down the original post; but I thought I'd better keep it and just add to it. I guess I have narrowed down a few choices. What I really want to do is get the most I can out of my set of Vintage Stacks and either a 4-way or 5-way switch. Remember, the switches are standard blade switches.

With the 4-way I can do the neck/bridge in series thing. But what can I do with a 5-way switch without changing pots?

Come on guys....Someone's gotta have an idea....
    -Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Comment

Can you split or tap the stacks with a 5-way switch to get the hum back?

Sorry... I'd go with a 4-way switch to add a bit while keeping things simple.
      Last edited by Kelsey; 01-21-2005, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Yes, when you engage the dummy coils, they're no longer hum-canceling.
        -Butch Snyder
        butchsnyder.com

Comment

Hey Butch; I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but one of the real dirt simple things I did with my Genny, (Peavey version of a Tele), is just flip the neck and middle hot wires running to the 5-way. This allows me to keep the conventional neck+bridge Tele sound.

So, if I put the 5-way straight up, I have the neck by itself. Moving the switch backwards acts as a 3-way with the neck/bridge.
          Moving it forward acts as a 3-way with the neck/middle. Works good.

btw - I haven't responded to your other "Power Booster" thread because I'm not sure what you mean by that. I can help give wiring solutions, but I'm just not sure what the "Power Booster" is refering to. Is that an active preamp of some sort?

Artie
          Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-21-2005, 12:18 PM. Reason: corrected horrible typo!

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            btw - I haven't responded to your other "Power Booster" thread because I'm not sure what you mean by that. I can help give wiring solutions, but I'm just not sure what the "Power Booster" is refering to. Is that an active preamp of some sort?

Artie
            The power Boost wiring is when top and bottom coils are on. This gives more output and a thicker tone but with the normal hum...

-Butch Snyder
            butchsnyder.com

Comment

Ah . . . ok. If I come up with anything clever or useful, I'll post it.

Comment

Okay, for now, I have decided to just go with the 4-way switching. This will give me the bridge and neck pickup together in series.

Here's a diagram...

4-way switching

My question is how do I wire the neck pickup like this? If I was using a 2-wire neck pickup, I would run the hot to the switch and the ground to the pot. I would disconnect to ground wire from the cover and run it to the ground as well. But, how do I do it with a 4-conductor pickup? I'm not sure at this point?
                Last edited by BS123; 01-21-2005, 01:01 PM.
                -Butch Snyder
                butchsnyder.com

Comment

I was kidding about the hum, but that powerboost mode looks cool. I'm not sure I would want it mixed into a 5-way though. I'm also not sure what to do with the 2 extra wires (after 2 grounds and one hot), but on my SM-3 I think they are just soldered/taped together and left hanging.

Comment

Ok, if I'm reading that diagram correctly, and I'm understanding you, its just a matter of exchanging the black for the hot, and green for ground, and put red and white together, like normal.

Like this:

See if that does it.

Comment

btw - I don't see any reason that you can't still incorporate that powerbooster switch in there also.

Also, all there doing with that switch is reversing the phase of one coil, relative to the other. I'm surprised that that would have a positive affect.

Hmmm . . .

Comment

Please see this thread...

New Thread
                        -Butch Snyder
                        butchsnyder.com

Comment

Working...
                        X