SG w/Gibson pups vs LP w/Duncans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SG w/Gibson pups vs LP w/Duncans

I’ve had a Gibson Les Paul Standard (Jazz/JB) as my #1 for a while and I just bought a brand new SG Special Faded, which came with 490r and 490t picks ups. The tonal contrast between the two axes is staggering (this is good, I want variery), and with some attentive A/B comparisons, I’m also realizing that the Duncans are superior in terms of clarity of the sound produced (I don’t know how else to put it). Don’t get me wrong, the SG sounds great and I would gig with it, but for now the LP will remain #1 until the SG gets some Duncans (and I said I would keep the guitar stock! Oh well, it ain’t the first time and certainly won’t be the last...). I definitely want vintage output that will get me as close as possible to what Angus would have played through in the mid-70s, so I was thinking about a 59 bridge and an Alcino II Pro neck - although I want to avoid mud in the neck, so a pair of 59's may be the answer.

Re: SG w/Gibson pups vs LP w/Duncans

Originally posted by No effects
    I’ve had a Gibson Les Paul Standard (Jazz/JB) as my #1 for a while and I just bought a brand new SG Special Faded, which came with 490r and 490t picks ups. The tonal contrast between the two axes is staggering (this is good, I want variery), and with some attentive A/B comparisons, I’m also realizing that the Duncans are superior in terms of clarity of the sound produced (I don’t know how else to put it). Don’t get me wrong, the SG sounds great and I would gig with it, but for now the LP will remain #1 until the SG gets some Duncans (and I said I would keep the guitar stock! Oh well, it ain’t the first time and certainly won’t be the last...). I definitely want vintage output that will get me as close as possible to what Angus would have played through in the mid-70s, so I was thinking about a 59 bridge and an Alcino II Pro neck - although I want to avoid mud in the neck, so a pair of 59's may be the answer.

59s were great in my SG, very Angus, very Clapton... PGs were nice too... But the set of PRS Dragons in there now are, although hotter than I usually prefer, killer!

With the volume rolled down they're like the 59s, but having the ability to roll the volume up and wail is very nice. And this may be the sweetest neck 'bucker I've ever heard.
    My Site
    My Gear

Comment

I just put a Classic Cover JB in my SG Standard and it is amazing. I am running it through a Soldano Avenger with Marshall 1960BV cab.. It sounds a lot better than the EMG81 i was using.

Comment

I was thinking of going the other way with a set of Seth for my SG Special. The problem with the 490r and 490t is that they are so tonally different, that if you set the amp for a good bridge sound, you get a muddy neck sound, or a setup with a good neck sound gives you a thin bridge sound.
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

I think a set of PGs would do you good.
          Originally posted by The Minstrel
          Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

'59!
            Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by MattPete
              The problem with the 490r and 490t is that they are so tonally different, that if you set the amp for a good bridge sound, you get a muddy neck sound, or a setup with a good neck sound gives you a thin bridge sound.
              That is so true. when I set my amp for a fat bridge tone the '59 neck just turns to mud. i think I'm gonna try a PG neck with my Demon bridge instead.

Comment

I hated the 490's that came stock in my SG. I went with the Custom/bridge & '59/neck configuration. Hated the Custom and replaced with the JB which I love.

I just ordered the Alnico Pro II for the neck. I use the neck pup primarily for clean tones....and I need a tad more warmth outta that position.
                PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                various pedals

Comment

My favorite SG pup combo is an Invader on the bridge and a '59 in front.
                  www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                  X