I need help chosing pick-ups.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help chosing pick-ups.

I need help chosing pick-ups for this guitar I am remodeling. It is a guitar that a got a longgg time ago, an Epiphone SG 310. It's a P.O.S but I am wanting to trick it out now. I play a lot of heavy rock/metal stuff(a lot of chug chug and breakdowns), and I also just play easier rock stuff. I'm looking for any advice on pick-ups I should look into. I was thinking maybe The Invader and I don't really know what else. If anyone has any suggesstions I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: I need help chosing pick-ups.

dd?jazz, or dd?59

Comment

Welcome Graves!

If you want a very versatile set you could go a few routes. Go with a High Output bidge pup and a vintage output neck pup, or go for straight up versatility.

I would recommend the Jazz for the neck regardless. It is very clear and articulate and can handle lower tunings as well as standard tuning. It sounds good clean AND distorted. I would also suggest a 59 but in an SG it might have too much bass and sound muddy.

For the bridge pup you could go a few different routes. A JB, C5, Custom, Dimebucker or Distortion. The first three versatile pups that can and do cover a broad range of tastes. The last two are the Chugga Chugga, grind it out and take off with some lead pups.

JB-sounds great clean and distorted. It uses an A5 magnet and is a brighter pup with a high mids spike that effectively cuts through.

C5-like a PAF with an Alnico 5 magnet that got left on the winding machine a little too long. It has a scooped mid and great lows and highs, and sounds similiar to a 59. This would be the hit or miss pup.

Custom-like the C5 but with more mids and les bass. It has a ceramic magnet and produces great crunch and lead tones.

Distortion-a high output pup but with useable cleans. It has an oversized ceramic bar magnet that contributes to the output. Lots of mids and harmonics.

Dimebucker-a high output pup with rails (for full volume while doing bends)and a ceramic magnet. Think the tone from the late great Dime.

Finally....
      Invader-another high output pup that might sound dark, due to its nature, in some guitars. It has 3 ceramic magnets and an aggressive winding. My gut tells me that a solid mahogany body might not be the best wood for it.

If you'll tell us what amp/s you use we can further help tune you in to the right pups. Hope this helps!

Luke
      “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Luke Duke thanks a lot for the help man..it's greatly appreciated. I play through a Peavey 5150 half stack. By the way I love that amp man. There is nothing "special" about it but the distortion is great for what I play. Off of the seymour duncan topic, what about using an EMG pick-up? And so you say that the Invader prolly wouldn't be agood idea for my SG? because of the wood type in the body?

Once again thanks a lot for your assistance.

Comment

Working...
        X