Advantages of lower pickup output?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantages of lower pickup output?

I was thinking of replacing the Quarter Pound rhythm pickup in my Telecaster with the Vintage Rhythm Stack pickup (STK-T1N). The bridge pickup in my Tele is a Little '59 humbucker, so I'm thinking that since the Vintage Rhythm Stack is also humbucking, the all-around tone would be quite nice (and hum free).

I noticed that the output of the Vintage Rhythm Stack pickup is quite a bit less than the Quarter Pound, so I'm not sure how well it would match up with the Little '59 in that respect. Are there any advantages to replacing a high output pickup like the QP with one that has lower output?

Thanks in advance!
    Phillip
    Axis Guitar Effects
    Fuzz Central DIY Guitar Effects

Re: Advantages of lower pickup output?

Yup . . . I have a pair of "tapped" QP's. I definitely prefer their sound when tapped. In fact, when I get a chance, I'm going to reverse the wiring on my push/pull pot so that tapped is the "normal" mode, and you pull for turbo-charging.

My next set of singles will probably be SSL-2's or APS-2's. The lower output mode has a much nicer jangly, chimey sound than full on.
    (Although, full-on still has benefits of its own.)

Comment

More articulation
      Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
      Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
      Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
      Epiphone LP Special w/JB
      Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
      Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
      1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
      Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

I am a BIG fan of lower output pickups. When I was searching for "that" ES-335, I kept being dissapointed with ALL of the ES-335 Dot reissues I tried that came stock with the Gibson Classic 57's. ALL of those guitars sounded VERY boomy (and BRIGHT) to my ears. Acting on a recommendation from a freind, I ordered a Heritage Classic 535 with Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers in the neck and bridge. Voila, the "ES-335" I had been looking for all these years! The Seth's are PERFECT for that guitar. They supply all of the tones I would expect out of a great sounding ES-335, without the boominess.

Chuck

Comment

It is very difficult to get sactisfatory cleans AND semi distorted tones with high output pickups IMO. I love to hear the strig when I play and the only way it is with low output pups (At least it is only way I have found).

Comment

I can get workable cleans out of high output pickups, but they sound very compressed. I like lower output pickups because they're more responsive to how I'm playing. If I play softly, then it sounds that way. You have more range dynamically, and with overdrive that translates into a lot of room for expression. With high output pickups, you're much more limmited.

Comment

I prefer high output pickups. I seem to have more use for my tone and volume controls with them. They just seem more dynamic to me.
              There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

part of the reason that pickups has lass output is phase cancellation between the top and bottom coils.

The main advantages mentioned here are pertainant to LOWER RESISTANCE and reduced magnet strength.

These have HIGHER resistance.
                Satanists In Love-
                Dance With The Kings
                of Dance Kings.

Headlopper-
                Everyone Must Give Head.

Drunk Boy Records-
                Fingers on the Pulse of America,
                and Applying as Much Pressure as We Can.
                http://www.DrunkBoy.cjb.net

Comment

Well, I dunno about any advantages, necessarily, but if you get a Duncan pickup booster, then you'll be fine anyway!
                  "No Wockin' Furries"

Maton EBG808L; G&L ASAT Special

Mesa/Boogie MkIIb; (no cab yet)

Boss TR3; Boss DD6; BYOC MXR Dist+

Comment

Originally posted by theboatcandream
                    I can get workable cleans out of high output pickups, but they sound very compressed. I like lower output pickups because they're more responsive to how I'm playing. If I play softly, then it sounds that way. You have more range dynamically, and with overdrive that translates into a lot of room for expression. With high output pickups, you're much more limmited.

I agree with that fully. If something needs to work hard its going to be my amp and or pedals, not my pickup. My tone starts with the guitar and pickups.

I often wonder why people like high output pickups. I for one despise the hot rails pickups and there are plenty of people on this forum that absolutely love them. Its all a matter of taste really. I may really dig somebody's tone that uses high output pickups, but they don't suit my playing style. There are some single coil pickups that are hot that I like though.
                    Gibson LP Melody Maker -- stock, Epiphone Dot -- Jazz neck and '59 bridge, Fender Telecaster Blackout Deluxe -- stock, 90's MIM Standard Strat with Duncan Texas Hot Custom in the bridge.

Comment

People like hotter pickups because they are generally more aggressive and tighter for more aggressive styles of playing....I have yet to come across a low output pickup that covers all that.

There's always some joker saying, a good PAF will do anything.......no it won't. That's BS. A good PAF will certainly cover a lot of ground but it's still not going to cover all styles.

I personally like medium to medium high output pickups like the JB.....warm but still fairly tight and aggressive enough to do fast stuff.

Comment

As I said I prefer the low output pickups but thoose have the problem of the neck and bridge outputbalance. And this thing it is very important on stage. A mached output set it is the best thing for giging IMO.

Comment

I dont know why they make really hot pickups any more. Now with modern amps you dont need to hit the front end so hard.

Comment

Originally posted by chris30000
                            I dont know why they make really hot pickups any more. Now with modern amps you dont need to hit the front end so hard.
                            Maybe some people prefer older amps?
                            There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Working...
                            X