Havin trouble with my pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Havin trouble with my pickups

Hey i just installed an APH 1 in the neck and a JB ( got it on ebay as a jb, but it has DC on the bottom, can anyone verify?), with some cool coil splitting options and what have you, but here is the weird problem. When both pups are on, it sounds like there is a lot more neck pup in the mix, until i roll back the volume on it slightly, and then it becomes a little more bridge. I followed the schematic of basic LP wiring found on the Duncan papers that came with the pickups, and added coil splitting and phasing on the bridge, and series/parallel on the neck. i checked the wiring and it all seems in order. Any tips on why the heck its acting up? The push pull pots are brand new, so im not sure if it could be them either.

Thanks

Re: Havin trouble with my pickups

Con't know the reason for your situation, bu tyour bridge pickup isn't a JB, I think it's a Custom.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

check your solder connections for anything loose or a cold solder joint that may not be holding right.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

The problem is the height of the pickups realtive to the strings. so Heres the solution....

First set yer amp to a clean channel.
        Then Set the pickup selector to Just the bridge pickup (not split or anything else, Just full bridge humbucker). Press the strings down at the last fret, and Adjust the Pickup height so that the poles on the bridge are About the distance of a NICKLE from touching the strings.
        And listen to the volume of the pickup.
        Then staying on the clean channel switch to full neck humbucker. Only the neck humbucker by itself.
        Adjust the height of the pickup so that the volume is close to that of the bridge, but slightly quieter. (check this by switching back and forth between the bridge and neck alone till you have a good volume balance)
        Then after you've done both of those things.
        Set the pickup selector to the middle possition (i.e. Both pickups on together). Listen to them. Listen to see which sounds louder.
        If the Neck still seems to loud to you, Slowly adjust the height, tiny bits at a time, on the neck bucker. Till you get a sound in the middle possition that you like.
        If the Bridge seems to loud to you. Slowly RAISE the NECK humbucker till you get the balance to desire.
        Then after you've got a good balance between the two.
        Listen to the Neck humbucker alone again.
        Decide weather you like the way it sounds alone still.
        If not. Figure out weather you want more highs from it or more bass.
        If you want more highs Adjust The POLEPEICES by raiseing them a tad till you acheive the tone you had that you liked before.
        If you want more bass, LOWER the POLEPEICES. Till you like the tone.
        Then Listen to it dirty.
        Neck Pickup alone,
        Then bridge alone.
        Then Both together.
        If you still like everything, then yer done.
        If you don't still dig everything dirty, Then repeat everything above and try and get a good balance. Hopefully getting it to sound good clean and distorted.
        If ya can't get it perfect for clean, and perfect for dirty. Then just decide which is more important. Or Make a comprimise between the two.

Setting the height of yer pickup, and pole peices is just as important as the type of pickup you have. It might take a long time to get it just right. But once ya get it, its not gonna go anywhere till you change it. So take yer time and adjust with yer ears not your eyes....Ed
        www.experimentsinlowfidelity.com

Originally posted by Aceman
        I like the cream in there. Don't know why.

Comment

Working...
        X