Replacement Pickups for PRS Custom 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Pickups for PRS Custom 24

I am planning to take out my 57/08 pickups from my PRS and replace them with Seymour Duncan pickups. I find them to be a bit on the weak end and don't really like them.

I'm really bad with describing tone and what I want but I definitely want something that can handle hard rock and metal. I was thinking of going with the Custom/59 combo. Any other suggestions?

Something along the lines of the clean and distortion from this song

ESP fanboy!
    www.twitter.com/bouVIP
    https://soundcloud.com/bouvip

Re: Replacement Pickups for PRS Custom 24

That set should do well for what you want. If you find you don't like it you can use the exchange policy to get something else.

The set that Seymour sells as the most versatile is the Hot Rodded Humbucker set which is the JB/Jazz combo which is extremely versatile as well.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I'd say the Custom/'59 set would not only be a really good match in your guitar, but I'd peg it as more versatile than a JB/Jazz set. Richer sounding too. And yes, clean + distortion like in that video would be a piece of cake with a Custom/'59 set.

Comment

I really liked the original Dragon pups PRS made, they were surprisingly versatile.... I would go with the Distortion set....

Comment

The Custom/'59 combo should be money in that guitar. I didn't like the regular Custom in my Singlecut, but loved it in the McCarty! The 57/08's are cool, but they are definitely moderate output PAF's. The Custom will give you the extra juice you're looking for, has a big and tight low end and a pretty good clean sound!

Comment

I've not tried a Custom, but I've got a C/59 hybrid and I find that it's got plenty of output for me. You might find it worth looking into.
            Custom neck-thru strat
            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
            1995 PRS CE24
            D'avanzo #8
            Breedlove Solo Concert
            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Thanks everyone! I have the JB/59 set in 2 guitars and love it, but wanted to try a new bridge. I also have the distortion/jazz set but don't really like it that much. Definitely going to get the Custom/59 now.
              ESP fanboy!
              www.twitter.com/bouVIP
              https://soundcloud.com/bouvip

Comment

Custom/59n is a killer combo. You'll dig it
                 Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

There's more than one guitar on that song and a lot of production that was done in the studio to get that sound so I don't think it has much to do with the pickups.

For the cleans, I would need vintage output pickups and for the distortion I'd run those vintage output pickups through the right pedal and amp.

For me, the right pedal would be the one I'm most comfortable with and that would be a Klon Klone like the Soul Food or better still a PCE Aluminum Falcon. You probably have your own favorite.

Pickups? Again, I'd go with my own favorites - the ones I'm most comfortable with.

I use alnico 2 Tom Holmes humbuckers in my two humbucking guitars and one of those is a PRS Custom 22 - although I could get a similar sound with a set of Pearly Gates.

I used a Pearly Gates neck and Duncan Custom bridge model in a Strat for a long time. Still really like that set although I eventually wanted to hear something a little more vintage and organic sounding than the ceramic magnet sound of the Duncan Custom.

But for you and the style of music you seem to be attracted to?

The PGn or 59n and a Duncan Custom might be perfect.

Only one way to find out - try it.
                  Last edited by Lewguitar; 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                  X