banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Placement and Pot Questions. HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Placement and Pot Questions. HELP!!

Okay guys, im building a custom guitar, and need some advice. The guitar will be a H-S-S. I have a TB-4 for the bridge, and a hot and cool rails for the middle and neck. What should go where? Also, what pots should i get for each (250K or 500K)? I will be getting push/pull for coil splitting.

All help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Originally Posted by zippy
    It's about as stable as Charles Manson... if I breath on it, look at it, or picture it in my mind my guitar goes out of tune...

Re: Pickup Placement and Pot Questions. HELP!!

What kind of control configuration will you have?

Personally, I would go with the JB in the bridge, Cool Rails mid, and Hot Rails in the neck.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I like Benjy's pup order.

You'll have some interesting switching options depending on whether or not its a Tele or a Strat. I'd do it differently, depending on which it is.

Let us know.

Comment

Its going to be a Cross between a PRS and a Jackson. Im going to have 1 tone, two volume, with a 5 way pickup switch. One volume will control the bridge with the other controlling the neck and middle. All suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys.
        Last edited by haiz69; 01-31-2005, 06:06 PM.
        It's about as stable as Charles Manson... if I breath on it, look at it, or picture it in my mind my guitar goes out of tune...

Comment

In case your wondering, its a maple neck through, with a mahogany body, and maple top.

Comment

Suggestions?

Comment

Up!

Comment

up it, help please.

Comment

Here is an awesome suggestion. I have a Samick Ray Benson Tele with a five way switch, and Duncan Design pups. The switching is amazing. On this guitar, it has a tele bridge, a hot rail middle, and a humbucker (PG I think) in the neck. Still, reverse the set up and I think it will work for you.

Order:
                  Bridge JB
                  Middle Hot Rail
                  Neck Cool Rail

Switch way switch, pos 1 = Bridge, 5 = Neck
                  1 Bridge HB (JB)
                  2. Bridge top coil + middle
                  3. Middle (Hot)
                  4. Middle + Neck bottom coil (Hot + Cool)
                  5. Neck (Cool)

Push/Pull pot for tap on the Middle/Hot Rail

That way you get:
                  Tap off
                  Loud HB
                  Single coil HB and loud HB, slicing single coil jb sound added for rythm!
                  Loud HB mid -great HB rythm sound
                  Loud HB plus single neck - Hot HB plus single coil Cool tones
                  Moderate HB

Tap On, the additional tones are in positions
                  2 - A Stevie RAy notch tone strat sound - but very hot, I think
                  3 - Single coil sort of Texas Hot strat (sort of)
                  4 - A very straty double single coil tone - with added balls from the mid Hot

Basically with tap off, you add slice from the single neck or bridge coils to the middle bucker. With the tap on, you add strat sounds from a single coil middle. And it stays quiet!

Again, I'm working with a tele style, but the principle is the same. Hope that was clear!

Also - I work with only one vol and one tone! Two vols would be very helpful. Also, Pickup height adjustment may take a while, but once you get get it right.....I'm not familiar with cool rails, so any alternate suggestions should be considered....
                  Last edited by Aceman; 02-02-2005, 08:42 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Wow! Thats a great suggestion! I think I will definitely go with that. Any suggestions for pots (250k or 500k) or anything else is appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

500k for the JB - no question
                      I'd have to check the Rails, but you might have to compromise one or the other with a slightly higher or lower pot...I think 250k might be best for the Cool (check that), and 500 for the HOT (definitely). I would focus on the pot for the Neck Cool RAil, though. In this setup the middle pup is really used as a mod for the bridge and neck, more than alone, though. SO, in short:

Bridge JB, 500k pot
                      Middle Hot rail
                      Neck Cool rail, 250k pot (to middle also)

5 way switch
                      5 - Bridge HB
                      4 - Bridge inner coil, middle HB
                      3 - Middle HB
                      2 - Middle HB, Neck inner coil
                      1 - Neck HB

Push pull pot as TAP for Middle only

TAP middle and and use for strat tones, or don't and add beef to the neck or power up the bridge even more, and as straight ahead mid bucker. Don't forget to set aside some time for Pup height adjustment.

And then buy a tele and do it in reverse!
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'd suggest 500k pots for the rails. Some say the JB was designed for use with 250k pots. I have yet to wire up my JB, but I plan on trying both the 250k and 500k pots. Whatever sounds best is what I'm going with.

I used 500k Vol pots on my Strat with 3 Lil' HBs and a TBX control which is a concentric 250/500k tone pot. I'm very happy with the sound.
                        Steve
                        I don't mean to offend, I just have a knack for it.

Duncans used; Lil '59, Ducky & Hotrail in my Mahogany Hardtail Strat;
                        Brobucker and Cool Rail are on hold for future projects.

:banana: :rocket: "Dance Banana Boy, Dance!"

Comment

Thank you very much guys. Thanks! Should i used a 250k tone pot?

Comment

Working...
                          X