Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Pickup for me?

Hi Folks!

I´m new to this Forum and i would like to replace my Burstbucker Pickups in my Gibson Les Paul Standard! ( made in 2004)!
    Well i really like those Burstbucker but IMHO i can´t seem to get harmonic Feedback with them!?!
    My Amp is a ENGL 580 into 930/60 Poweramp! I thought a lot about it and i came to narrow it down to a few ones!

Pearly Gates , Jeff Beck, Custom , paralell Axis!

Which one of these would be best suited for wonderful Feedback. Oh i would like to mention harmonic Feedback and not this hum and hiss noise with high output Humbuckers!

Thanks,

Mario

Re: Which Pickup for me?

Hey Mario WELCOME to the Forum!!

Of your pup selection thus far I would suggest the Pearly Gates. They are a vintage pup somewhat similiar to your burst buckers. They have mismatched coils and are very thick sounding with great harmonic content. I think they are potted to quell feedback however.

Another pup that is not on your list you might want to look at is the Seth Lover. It is an Alnico 2 magnet as well but is pretty much a dead ringer on non-potted PAF tone. It feeds back musically and has complex mids. If you take a look at this months Vintage Guitar Magazine they talk about it and a 59 in a shootout.

Hope that helps!

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Hi Luke!

Thanks for your Answer! Are they Pearly Gates noisy? The Seth Lover never came to mind cause i thought indeed it´s a Vintage Pu?

Mario

Comment

No the PG is not noisy really....at least no more than any other bucker. The PG A2P 59 and Seth are all vintage style pups. The difference between them is coil windings, and magnets. The PG is just the highest rated DC resistance wise. I personally have an A2P bridge pup (very thick and rich sounding) and can get some very musical feedback. If you are looking for a higher output pup you might want to look at the Custom series or the Distortion. Lots of guys here have great luck with JB, and although it's not for me I can understand it. It does have very good harmonics although not as much as the distortion.

Luke
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I have realy come to like the Pearly Gates and the Distortions alot.I have tried different combo's and I settled on the Distor. in bridge and PGin the neck and you get an awesome combination. I want to trie the Seth Lover/Pearly Gates combo next. I realy like the PG in the neck, it sounds so rich and compliments any bridge nicely.

Youngpup
          WHAT DO I KNOW, I'M JUST A HICK THAT DOESN'T KNOW BETTER

G&L ASAT Legacy
          '78 Super Reverb CPR8 Mods
          Spina Modded DOD Classic Tube
          Takamine limited
          79 Electra les paul w/Stagmag neck Custom StagMag bridge
          Warmoth w/ Seth Lovers
          Ibanez JTK1
          and lots of projects

Comment

I have a Pearly Gate set and a Seth Lover set. For musical feedback, go with the Seth's.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
            X