Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB & Jazz pot change questions.

Howdy from Texas all,
    I have a Les Paul with the JB Jazz combo. I installed the pu's myself with no problems. I have heard folks talk about changing pots to 250K to reduce some of the high end from the JB. I was wondering, should I change both pots to 250K or just for the bridge? What would the change do to the sound of the jazz neck? Is this a fairly easy mod to do on my own? What brand of pots do you recomend, and where to aquire them. As it may seem I am trying to take some of the brightness away form this guitar, I think I would find it more useable for my tastes.

Thanks in advance,
    Hanky

Re: JB & Jazz pot change questions.

Depends on the pots that are in the LP. My studio had stock 300k pots (and still does) with the JB, Jazz combo. I've only had the combo in since Monday night so I haven't had the time to really let the new tone soak in into my ears yet. So far, though, I think I may switch up to the 500k pots I've got laying around because the jazz neck I think may benefit from the 500k. You can always roll back the 500k.

Check on the pots first. LPs with the 490/498 combo typically come factory with 300k. The 496/500 set uses 500k. I'm unsure of the BBs or PAFs
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

My LP is a Classic from 2002. 496/500 wew stock, ao I believe th pots are 500K.

Hanky

Comment

Sweet!! MikeS How does that guitar sound now? I have a studio with 490 and 498 they sound good and powerfull for the stuff I play. Would you say the JB and jazz sound extraordinarly different and better sounding? Sorry for being off topic.
        Last edited by HarrisonDavid; 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM. Reason: missed some things to say.

Comment

Hanky, remember that if the pups are too trebly you can always roll back the pots or easily switch to different capacitors. Personally, I like to have the excess there if I need it.

HarrisonDave, I've only plugged the JB/Jazz combo into my practice amp. I could easily tell a difference in the neck pickup. The Jzz is a ton more articulate than the 490, which I found to be muddy and dark. The Jazz is as advertised: clean and articulate. It's not too dark, but not too bright. Like I said, I may swap in some 500k pots and see if that opens anything up. I can always roll some highs off the top if things get too trebly.

Haven't noticed as big of an impact in the JB in the practice amp. The true test will be this weekend when I have a chance to plug into my Marshall. I'm not sure that the JB is voiced that differently than the 498. But like I said, I haven't had a chance to really rip out some serious sound with the new pups.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Working...
          X