Did SD P90 pole spacing change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did SD P90 pole spacing change?

I've got a set of P90s I took out of a Hamer a long time ago...probably from a '96 or '97 guitar, they still have the old inked paper stickers. The usual Hamer 2N/3B set.

I recently picked up a guitar in which I'd like to use them, but it would look best with cream covers and mine are black. So I sent SD an email from the contact form asking about covers, and they advised me to just ask a dealer.

So I did - and apparently there are three cover models. Since I didn't know which I'd need, I bought two of each. And none of them fit.

There is a 'tall' style that's identical to my old black ones (with one exception which I'll get to momentarily), then a slightly shorter version of that, and finally one that's short and has a window cut out of each long side, ostensibly to clear the upturned 'lip' that SD baseplates use.

Trouble is, the pole spacing is different. My pickups have pole spacing that's just a little bit - probably a little less than 1mm - wider than any of the new covers. My old covers are perfect.

Did Duncan narrow pole spacing (it would appear so). When? Why? And, most importantly, what do I do about it?
Working...
X