Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pickup for Mahogany Strat...

Hey guys,
    Im trying to figure out what to put in a mahogany strat with a non-recessed Floyd Rose and rosewood fingerboard. I not sure whether to go with a Screamin Demon, JB, or C5 for the bridge sopt. Im trying to get a aggressive, but versatile sound that can really sing. This seems to point toward the JB, but the JB has a real specific sound that we've all heard a thousand times as great as it is. My other concern is whether it will be to thick, yes thats right, to thick, I have very little experience with the JB i do know that it have that distinct, thick mid-range that i think might be not quite right. Im looking for a sound that is punchy and fat, still have openness and dynamic spank, but has great singing highs that are smooth but not to smooth, but not harsh or completely lacking in mids either. Im not trying to get the guitar to sound like a Les Paul or something like that, i like this guitar for what it is and want to keep the sound from getting to far away from that. I play a lot of different music, all kinds of hard rock and metal, classic rock from old Beatles and Stones stuff, Aerosmith style hard blues rock, and all kinds of other stuff. I admit i am a whore for EVH and George Lynch and play a lot of there stuff too. What would you suggest for the sound i want? How would these different pickups sound?
    Last edited by Maximusgordon 2.0; 01-27-2005, 06:16 PM.
    EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Re: Bridge pickup for Mahogany Strat...

That's...a lot of sounds from one pickup.

The JB might be a bit too high-output-ish for some classic Beatles stuff. The C5 is a pretty neutral pickup in the mids, and can sound scooped unless you have a good "middy" amp or EQ setting.

I don't have much experience with the Screamin' Demon, but it sounds like it'd fit your bill pretty well.
    '04 Schecter C-1 Plus (TB-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz)

Comment

Yah, thats my only concern with the C5, it has the great rythmn openness but maybe not the lead sound im looking for...
      EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Comment

I don't know about Beatles, but I think the Demon can do everything else you mentioned. The Demon is meant for soloing and shredding IMO. You can get a good chunk for rhythm, but you may have to mess with the pole pieces. It is not a really high output pickup. It adds to beef the wound strings and it sings on the light strings.

Comment

Anyone else have anything to say about the demon?
          EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Comment

It sounds way better with the hex screws changed to slot-heads.

Comment

You could split the JB though, and I've heard the JB is very stratty when split...

Comment

I would say the C-5. I personally find the JB to be dull and thin myself. It's a little better in Les Pauls, but even then, I find it thin and dull. Get a c-5 and boost the mids.
                Guitars
                BastardCaster - Mahogany Strat with APH Bridge and single coils in neck and mid.
                Epi Les Paul Std. - JB bridge Jazz Neck (Love the Jazz, undecided on the JB)

Mullet - Crap plywood ibanez knockoff with high output bridge humbucker.
                P.O.S. - Microphonic P-90 pickup with surprisingly good tone. You can also use it as a microphone!

Amps
                1977 Marshall JMP MKII 2204 head / 1960 slanted 4x12 cab with 2 Vintage 30's and 2 G12T75's
                Laney VC-30 212

Comment

Do what I did: I put a Custom in the bridge of my mahogany strat (see avatar at left). For kicks, I tried a C5, but it was too bright in that guitar.
                  This machine kills fascists

Comment

You can consider the SM. I don't care for it in full mode but it rocks split!!

Comment

Working...
                    X