Need new pick-ups for a 69 SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new pick-ups for a 69 SG

I have a Gibson 69 SG. The person before me replaced the Gibson pick-ups with 2 mixed matched junk PU's. I play rhythm guitar mostly, not alot of leads. I play classic rock, hard rock to heavy metal. I don't play lead, so I wouldn't need alot of super highs. Something with good mids and a good bottom, good sustain and will work well distorted. I'm not a pro, just play out once in awhile. Need something where I can go from a warm classic rock sound to a hard driving heavy metal. Some say stay with Gibson Humbuckers only, others say go with Seymour Duncans. I run through a Marshall 4-12 cab with a 100 watt head. Any Ideas would be helpful.........
    Last edited by mark129; 03-18-2004, 07:11 AM.

Hmm.. let's see... I'd recommend a pair of '59. Some will probably came in suggesting a Custom-5 but I never really liked this one in my SG. Yes, I think a '59 pair would suit you fine.
    Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Antiquities!! Nice guitar, They will look right and sond very similar to the originals.
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Antiquitys will sound awesome in that guitar.
        www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
        www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
          Antiquities!! Nice guitar, They will look right and sond very similar to the originals.
          That's what I was thinking. Either those or some Seth's. I figure since it's a '69 model, you might as well get it back as close to the way it is/was.

It's also hard to go wrong with a set of 59's.

Comment

all of those are excellent choises

but i say go for the seths
            Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Re: Need new pick-ups for a 69 SG

Originally posted by mark129
              I have a Gibson 69 SG. The person before me replaced the Gibson pick-ups with 2 mixed matched junk PU's. I play rhythm guitar mostly, not alot of leads. I play classic rock, hard rock to heavy metal. I don't play lead, so I would need alot of super highs. Something with good mids and a good bottom, good sustain and will work well distorted. I'm not a pro, just play out once in awhile. Need something where I can go from a warm classic rock sound to a hard driving heavy metal. Some say stay with Gibson Humbuckers only, others say go with Seymour Duncans. I run through a Marshall 4-12 cab with a 100 watt head. Any Ideas would be helpful.........
              CUSTOM/59 set

Comment

Yeah boys.. Antiquities are great, but don't forget the man said "hard rock to heavy metal"...

I personaly have Ants in my SG, I love 'em, but not for metal. Not tight enough. The '59s are tighter. Maybe antiquities with A5 would be better !
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Originally posted by Thames
                  Yeah boys.. Antiquities are great, but don't forget the man said "hard rock to heavy metal"...
                  for that requirement it is the custom(sh-5) that fits the bill

Duncan Custom™

SH-5/TB-5 -- Beef up the sound of the Patent Applied For pickup and you get a hard-driving, kicking sound with just the right balance of power, sustain, and distortion. This pickup cuts through with a distinctive high end and midrange attack. Available in black, zebra (cream & black), reverse zebra and white as well as the following colors at no extra charge -- red, red & black, pink, green, light blue, dark blue & yellow.
                  Recommended for bridge position. Four conductor cable, with traditional or Trembucker spacing. Also for 7-string guitars

Comment

Working...
                  X