banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H-S-H 2 Volume 1 Tone Wiring (Check my work?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H-S-H 2 Volume 1 Tone Wiring (Check my work?)

Hey guys, long time no post.

I'm rewiring my guitar and my wife threw my pots in a drawer with about 50 other used pots. I had them out and in order so I could remember my wiring for this, since HSH 2 Vol 1 Tone schematics are surprisingly hard to find on the interwebs. My guitar was wired this way before the swap, and I still have the 5 way switch sitting next to me, so I know those are right in my little diagram. I'm not 100% confident on the rest of it though... I seem to remember it being a bit more tricky than what I have here, but I could just be crazy... Anyone got the time to double check my work? I'd appreciate it.

Important info: I used orange for the white wires. The bridge and neck pickups have triple shots installed and the middle pickup is a Vintage Rails.

Click image for larger version

Name:	H-S-H 2 Vol 1 Tone.png
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	5834282
    Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar?
    Crowd: *screams*
    Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar as well as I do?
    Dave Mustaine: YOU LIE!!!!!!!!

Re: H-S-H 2 Volume 1 Tone Wiring (Check my work?)

And now I think I've found the old pots in the pile... I'm not sure... It's been a couple years since I've wired anything, but I think the wiring may have actually been this:

Name:	H-S-H 2 Vol 1 Tone2.png
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	5780172

Help?

Comment

Vintage rail is a humbucker, so you've really got a HHH 2V 1T 5-way.

It looks like you have the middle rail permanently wired with the coils in parallel. Is that what you intended?

The volumes and tone in both drawings look wrong to me.

Comment

You don't want to run the output of one vol pot into the input of the other vol pot. That won't work correctly.

You should have the lead to the tone pot on the lug where you have the cap now.

You want the cap going from the middle lug on the tone pot to ground (back of pot).

But, really, are you sure you want 2 vol pots and 1 tone pot instead of 1 vol pot and 2 tone pots?
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          You don't want to run the output of one vol pot into the input of the other vol pot. That won't work correctly.

You should have the lead to the tone pot on the lug where you have the cap now.

You want the cap going from the middle lug on the tone pot to ground (back of pot).

But, really, are you sure you want 2 vol pots and 1 tone pot instead of 1 vol pot and 2 tone pots?
          I knew something looked fishy.

Here's the solution that wound up working:

Name:	H-S-H 2 Vol 1 Tone2.png
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	5780174

And, yeah. I use the Vintage Rails in conjunction with the other pickups to make some really interesting clean tones when I adjust the volume of it. It comes in handy occasionally in the studio.

The tone might be off for actual wiring... I'm using a HPF LPF pot instead.

Comment

Instead of running the wire to the output jack "tip" from the tone pot, connect it from the output (middle) lug of the vol pot.

What is a HPF LPF pot? High pass/low pass? You still want the output jack connected to the vol pot not the tone pot.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, it's a high pass low pass. It seems to function more like a volume pot from a wiring perspective so I wound up wiring the second post on the first volume pot directly to the first post on it as well. It works well, though.

Comment

Working...
              X