Ultimate Pickup Mods List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ultimate Pickup Mods List

By the way - this thread inspired by bullet's JB mods thread. That thread got me to thinking…"Everybody has a DIFFERENT JB mod…." But there are only so many mods and they will all work on most pickups.

So I thought we ought to just list all of them - with some stuff they usually/generally do. And there is a ton of stuff you can do to tweak your tone to perfection.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

This is a great list. Great job!

Comment

I think it's funny that the OP post assumes that everyone is dealing with humbuckers, but perfectly expected considering humbucker talk beats out single coil talk on this forum ten to one. Going good until we hit #4... and then we're taking magnet swaps all the sudden.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
          I think it's funny that the OP post assumes that everyone is dealing with humbuckers, but perfectly expected considering humbucker talk beats out single coil talk on this forum ten to one. Going good until we hit #4... and then we're taking magnet swaps all the sudden.
          Opinion noted DreX. So, how about you throw down with some suggested single coil mods! I will absolutely admit to being a Humbucker/P-90 guy. And I didn't touch MAg combos on P-90's either.

What can pup-nodders do to a single - besides a tap, which is wire-surgery of the highest order, and has been mentioned?
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Opinion noted DreX. So, how about you throw down with some suggested single coil mods! I will absolutely admit to being a Humbucker/P-90 guy. And I didn't touch MAg combos on P-90's either.

What can pup-nodders do to a single - besides a tap, which is wire-surgery of the highest order, and has been mentioned?
            Well, you can swap rod magnets, though that's a bit harder than swapping a bar magnet on a humbucker. You can swap magnets on a p90 or degauss/recharge them. That's about all I can think of. You could swap p90 screws, both material and length. Not something I generally would do though. I have swapped a2 out for a5 in a p90 to boost output and change voicing a little.

Being as a single coil is one coil, there are intrinsically less options. (No hybrids, no wiring a single pickup in series or parellel.)

I am a huge fan of series/parellel switches and I love a 4 position tele.

Comment

It's true, there's not as much you can do with a single coil, I was just noting that the assumption.

For a thicker sound, add a base plate under the coil. Callaham makes plates sized for the purpose, and it can really help a shrill bridge.

Another mod for shrill bridges, is a hard-wired attenuation. Connect a cap with a value between .02 and .001 and a 500k trim pot in series across the pickup's + and - leads, and adjust the trim pot to control the attenuation. IME, a cap of .003 uF will allow more mids to be retained while taking off the high-pitched edge.

On cheaper style plastic bobbins with bar magnets underneath, you can break off the ceramic bar, remove the slugs with some force (I pushed them out with a smaller screw driver) and replace them with AlNiCo pole pieces. Here's a recent thread about it https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...e-coil-modding

Comment

Is it possible to mix magnets in a single coil? Ie. A2's for the plain strings and A5's for the wound?

Comment

Enlightening! Illuminating!
                  Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Is it possible to mix magnets in a single coil? Ie. A2's for the plain strings and A5's for the wound?
                    As a matter of fact http://www.seymourduncan.com/product...vetwo_for_str/

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      traditional single coil winding puts the coil in contact with the pole magnets as it is wrapped around them directly, rather than having the plastic bobbin separating the 2 like in a normal humbucker. this means that trying to shunt the magnets up or down could cause damage to that horrifically fine wire, leaving you with a knackered pup. i think that cheapo no-name single coils are more often wound on bobbins, so somewhat counter-intuitively it might be easier to customise low-cost rubbish than high-end nice stuff when it comes to singles. get that ceramic bar unglued from the bottom and replace the humbucker slugs with single coil poles. just hope that it's a decent wind on there

Comment

Working...
                      X