Burstbucker Tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burstbucker Tone?

I played a 1960 LP Classic Goldtop RI the other day, and wow! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think those would have been Burstbucker pickups. So, my question is, what SD pickup comes the closest to the Burstbucker sound? They could have been '57s, but they didn't sound that middy. They're A2s. Thanks
    Last edited by aaron; 01-31-2005, 10:09 PM.
    Finch Amplification - Under Conschmuction
    Handcrafted Tone Machines

Guitars: Hollow Les Paul, Strat
    Effects on my board: Finch Brain Box (Loopbox/Piezo Pre/Power Conditioner), Finch Super-Wah, Finch Clean Squeeze, Finch Fat Lady, Finch-O-Plex, Finch TremBaby, Finch Two Face, Boss Delay
    Amps: Finch '59 Studio (Stereo 2x10, EL84 mini-stack)

Re: Burstbucker Tone?

was this gold top about $1700-1800?? then it probably had the 496r/500t hot ceramic set. if the guitar was $2k+ then it might have been the burstbuckers

Comment

Hmmmm, good question. I can't remember exactly. It was really clear, pristine tone. The neck didn't really thump, but it was clear and touch sensitive. Not super bassy by any means, in fact, it was really bluesy. Hah, anyway, I liked it. I think it might have been over 2000, I might check tomorrow.

Effects on my board: Finch Brain Box (Loopbox/Piezo Pre/Power Conditioner), Finch Super-Wah, Finch Clean Squeeze, Finch Fat Lady, Finch-O-Plex, Finch TremBaby, Finch Two Face, Boss Delay

Comment

covers on the pickups?

Comment

Nope, open coil

Comment

in that case they were probably the 496r/500t
            Originally posted by Aceman
            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Yeah, maybe. Hah, that's funny, SD doesn't really make any vintage styled ceramic pups I'll check tomorrow for grins, they do make the BBs in open coil. Thanks

Comment

i wouldnt call the 500t vintage styled, but thru the right amp it could get a nice warm tone.
                the lp classic has the hotter pups, if its a historic ri then itll have the bb's

Comment

Hey Aaron for similiar pups to what I've always heard in classics and what I think is in that one. (496,500) I'd go with a custom bridge and a jazz neck.

The custom is going to be a ceramic magnet with a DC Resistance of 14.2 +or- It is going to have good mids, bass, and highs and have that slightly aggressive ceramic sound.

The jazz is going to sound very articulate and warm. Some find the 59 more desirable, but I'm a fan of the jazz and I think you would like it as well.

Hope that helps you some!

Luke

P.S. Great Avatar, a great role model
                  “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Yep, The LesPaul Classics only come with 500T/496R pickups stock, no Burstbuckers.

I will be replacing both pickups in my '92 LP Classic for Alnico 2 Pros.

Comment

Cool, thanks guys! I guess I'll give the jazz another look. I kinda thought it sounded a little too woody, maybe not creamy enough. Maybe I'm just an A2 guy Dunno, I'm open to suggestion, I'm still training my toneological sense Oh, also, I have heard burstbuckers on another guitar, and they're awesome too, anybody know what's comparable among SDs to actual burstbuckers? Hah

Originally posted by Luke Duke
                      P.S. Great Avatar, a great role model
                      Well, he sure does make a good example of what it is to love and seek the beauty of Christ. And his writings always encourage me to do the same. Later

Comment

Originally posted by aaron
                        Cool, thanks guys! I guess I'll give the jazz another look. I kinda thought it sounded a little too woody, maybe not creamy enough. Maybe I'm just an A2 guy Dunno, I'm open to suggestion, I'm still training my toneological sense Oh, also, I have heard burstbuckers on another guitar, and they're awesome too, anybody know what's comparable among SDs to actual burstbuckers? Hah
                        An A2 Burstbucker tone? I'd go with a set of alnico 2 pros (A2P's) or pearly gates (pg's). For the most authentic in PAF tone in a new pup you could go with a set of seth lovers. They have A2 mags and they come with nickel covers as well. For the A5 versions go with a set of 59s, jazzes, or one of the aforementioned in the neck and a C5 bridge.

Luke
                        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty set on a Seth neck, I think. I've been thinking about an AP2 or PG, leaning to PG for less bassy presence. Really, my favorite bridge tone, if it would work would be the Phat Cat. I'm just not sure that it's a safe bet. When I get closer to buying pups for this guitar, I may throw it up on the board for discussion. That would be ideal, otherwise, PG.

Comment

The A2P is not as popular as the PG, probably for output reasons, but I am a big A2P fan. The mids are ver rich and I don't find the bass overbearing. It's as smooth as can be and as warm as the Carribean. For higher output you might also want to look at the CC more mids than any other passive pup and nice round highs.

Luke

Comment

Working...
                            X