upgraded pickups really neccessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upgraded pickups really neccessary?

greetings, I've been a long time reader of these forums, but this is my first attempt at a post. I currently own an ibanez RG 220 (not great but it gets the job done). I currently have the stock pickups still in there. Everyone tells me that I need to upgrade them to some SD's or something, but I'm a little skeptical. Is it really that dramatic of an improvement to be worth the $150.00+ i'd have to shell out to buy them and get them installed? I mean I've played guitars w/ seymour duncans and the like and I wasn't blown away or anything. All I'm asking is it really worth the investment?

Re: upgraded pickups really neccessary?

Welcome to the forum!

If you like the way your stock pickups sound then you might want to leave them alone. However if you feel that you're not getting the sound you want, aftermarket pickups like Duncan's, Dimarzio's, and such are out there, and there's plenty to chose from. If you're looking to upgrade your pickups and don't know what to look for, ask around here for help. You'll find that everyone here is very helpful.
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Originally posted by StratTom
      Welcome to the forum!

If you like the way your stock pickups sound then you might want to leave them alone. However if you feel that you're not getting the sound you want, aftermarket pickups like Duncan's, Dimarzio's, and such are out there, and there's plenty to chose from. .....

A lot of time also you won't notice the differences as easily unless it's A/B ... Say when dealing with output, if both pups are generally the same output, and you replace one, then you may notice the change of say a hotter pup; while when playing another guitar that had that same pup in it (and matched with a suitable output pup), you might not notice the difference as much, you might even attribute it to *that guitar*. Generally if you find yourself having to add more gain, or take more gain away (amp pad switch or lo gain input), or constantly find yourself having to add a certain eq curve (eq pedal) to get the sound you are looking for, then that probably tells you that you need something else in your guitar. Because a constant use of something like that tends to speak of a *fix* for a problem, something the instrument has to much of, or not enough of. When you constantly find yourself saying ... I wish this had more/less bass, or highs, or was louder/softer, had more mids, tighter and more focused, or losser and more airy ... Then I'd take that to mean you should start looking into replacement pups.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

There have been a lot of people out there who have seen the need for something a little different out of their guitar, and had that fulfilled by changing the pickups (I was one of them). If everything's great, then leave well enough alone. But if there is a need to change something in your setup (which we all feel at one time or another), the pickups in your guitar will have a BIG effect on that.
        "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Hi MUDBUTT; Welcome to the forum.

It does depend a lot on the guitar, and whats in it now.
          Putting the 59n/C5b combo in my Peavey Predator made all the difference in the world. The original p'ups weren't necessarily bad - more like, "lifeless".

The re-incarnated sound of my guitar inspired me to play and practice more.
          So yes, for me, it was like buying a new guitar.

Comment

pickups are really one of the later stops on your quest for the perfect tone, i mean, spend your money on a decent amp befreo anything else, thats what really shapes your tone, if your still not totaly happy, then go for the new pickups, and just come on here with your questions, and the knowleagable people should be able to help.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Richey
            "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

yeah, i agree with the sentiments above .. if you think your pickups are fine, then keep them .. nothing will piss you off more than spending money and not being able to tell the difference ... a better amp or better guitar would be money better spent ...

but when/if your ear gets accustomed to the subtleties of a pickup's frequency response, and its response to you picking dynamics, etc., then you'll have a better idea if replacements are for you

welcome to the board
              cheers
              t4d
              gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

As they say if it ain't bust don' fix it!

Putting a pair of Seths in my Tokai 335 made all the difference - they gave me the tone I was after and the stock pickups didn't.

On the other hand I'm happy with the stock pickups in my Mexican Tele so won't be changing them to SD's.
                I only know 3 chords but I play 'em real good

Tokai 335 ~ Seth Lover
                MIJ Fender Stratocaster ~ SSL-1 Californian Set
                Gretsch Electromatic ~ GFS NYII & NYIII
                MIM Fender Tele ~ Quarter Pounder and Hot Tele Tapped
                Tokai MIJ SG - Gibson 57
                Tokai MIJ LP - Pearly Gates
                K.Yairi Gordon Giltrap Signature

Comment

hey MUDBUTT...welcome to the forums..

I'm not really going to say anything different than anyone else here...if you like what you're getting now, don't bother..if you're looking for something different or aren't happy with the tone you're getting now, then yes, new pickups can definetly be worth the investment..

in my experience, it doesn't matter how much the guitar cost..I've put new pickups in a cheap knock off strat and it sounded great...hell, I even just got a new JB put in my ESP..and that guitar cost 1500! and I couldn't be happier with the results..so if you're happy with the playability and look/feel of your guitar but aren't quite happy with teh sound commin' from the pickup, then I'd say go for it..
                  Splawn QR
                  Splawn 4x12 w/greenbacks
                  Splawn 2x12 w/ CL80s
                  George Lynch Skulls n' Snakes Sig ESP w/JB trembucker

My Cover Band
                  My Gear Pix
                  My SPLAWN Clips
                  My SPLAWN Vids/Homepage

Comment

I have changed every pickup in every guitar that I have ever owned

Differences can be subtle, as the pickups are just one component of your sound. I think of it as fine-tuning, but these days I just want that subtle edge.

The decision-making process is not that easy. I have bought gobs of pickups, guitars and amps so in the end I know which ones really work for me.

If you hang out here much, you will find that most of us never really see and end to the quest
                    My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Personally, i have heard dramatic changes in guitars with upgraded pickups. Even if you have a decent guitar and a decent amp, thin pickups are thin pickups.

With that said, i think there are only very subtle differences between many replacement pickups, especially single coils for strats and neck humbuckers. I would be equally happy, for example, with a '59, jazz, seth lover or A2 Pro neck humbucker. All sound great to my ears, though slightly different. The pups with A2 magnets are warmer, but the A5 magnets have more string to string definition. It's a tradeoff.
                      Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

I hear guys say they have replaced the p'up in their LP for example and don't notice a difference.....not sure how that is possible.

Comment

I think that the pickup replacement industry took off for a reason. I spend $70 on a pickup and that makes my $700 guitar and $2000 worth of amp sound a whole lot better, IMHO. The {signal} chain is only as stong as its weakest link...the pickups are the window to the guitars soul. That being said, I've only ever had one guitar that I didn't change the pups on. If you like your sound, stick with your pups. If you don't, take a chance and change the pickups. Be careful...if you change your pups and you like the sound, you may get GAS...there is no cure!!!

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
                          Farkus
                          2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                          1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

The {signal} chain is only as stong as its weakest link

yup, i totally agree. unfortunately i think i may be the weakest link in my gear at the moment

Comment

I put a JB in my RG and it gives the RG some new live. The difference isn't that big. But for me it plays better. I just can hear a real difference thru my amp when it's load or if i a/b it.
                              I'm not sure if anybody listen to me (a normal listener not some gear addicted people) would hear a difference in the sound. But maybe he would hear that i play better because i like my sound better! .
                              I'm not a good player but the new pickup inspired me so it maybe makes my sound really better...
                              Last edited by Marcel; 04-11-2004, 01:46 PM.
                              RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                              TS 7 (modded)
                              Hot Rod 50+ XL
                              Framus Dragon 4x12
                              V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Working...
                              X