Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick ups for Custom Shop guitar

Hey guys,

Blueline's going to make me the perfect axe, at least for me! But I just can't decide about the bridge pick up for that axe. It's a Single Cut Les Paul type guitar with an arched Flamed Maple top and a 25.5" scale neck. The body wood is Korina, the neck wood is (Flamed) Maple and the fingerboard is ebony.

I'm a progressive player, very modern style, (almost) no vintage elements. I dig Paf vibes, but I won't sleep any less when I don't have 'em. Lots of progressive-instrumental-Rock, Funk-Rock, Speed Metal, shred, but also Spanish-style-fingerpicking and acoustic runs, and I dig country-like tones. I also do some Neo-classical stuff, lots of legato playing and some sweep picking. Marty Friedman, Jason Becker, Rocky George, Zakk Wylde (clean ups), Savatage, Megadeth-style

For the bridge: A raw, not too harsh sound (harsh enough for some ceramic mags though). Lots of harmonics, good clean ups, more treble than bass and mids in between, not bassy. I want to be able to do some chuggah-chuggah palm muting. I'm not into active humbuckers. I need something with high output.
    For the neck: Excellent clean ups (bell-like if you will), moderate output (not too low), good for riffing, lots of harmonics, also more treble than bass mids in between, I also want to be able to do great arpeggios without everything clouding up. I plan on doing solos with this pick up as well.

I was thinking Jazz for the neck, but if you have any other suggestions I'll gradly take 'em. I'm not sure about the bridge, really. So maybe that's where you guys also come in
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: Pick ups for Custom Shop guitar

Custom Bridge?
    59 neck?
    Peavey Wolfgang(USA) EBMM pickups
    Meanstreet Exile (Wolfgang Copy) evh set
    Sterling AX40 stock (Fender Wolfgang bridge/AN neck)
    Epiphone LP Special w/JB
    Rouge P Bass SD Quarter Pounders
    Epiphone Acoustic with seymour woody
    1984 Marshall JCM 800 4010 Voodoo Modded w/EVH Greenback
    Peavey 6505+ combo

Comment

Custom/Jazz
      http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
      >cord<
      1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Could you guys maybe tell me why?
        Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

i think a jazz neck with a custom bridge would be a good combo for what ya want. the custom has strong output, good clarity and a tight bottom end thats great for heavy riffing.
          tthe jazz in the neck has great note definition and a clear tone that doesnt mush up under heavy gain

Comment

yeah, jeremy hit it on the head as to why i think it would be a great combo also....

>cord<
            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

what jeremy said

Comment

Custom and Jazz hmm could work I guess. Korina is similar to mahogany, so will the Custom stay balanced and not get a bass kick like for example the Tone Zone? Please keep in mind I also do a lot of lead playing. Does de Custom have good response to picking attack? I want kind of an airy sound shred sound, under medium gain and some reverb (like George Lynch on Tears of Sahara or Jason Becker on Altitudes). I was also thinking Duncan Distortion, because it's got a lot of highs which could work on the warm Korina wood. But the Custom seems very interesting right now, I wouldn't have given it a single doubt in an alder bodied guitar that's for sure

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

the distortion could be an option......but the Custom isnt quite as hot, so its a bit more open and somewhat dips into PAF sound, but not too close.......it still rocks and rolls better than most of em.....it would say its bass is pretty solid, but tight, so i dont think your gonna have a problem

>cord<
                  1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Working...
                  X