250k pot for JB...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250k pot for JB...

Does anyone have any sound clips or videos demo-ing a 250k pot on a JB? I'm thinking about putting one in my alder Charvel, but I wanted to hear it first. Wondering if it would cause the 59 in the neck to be too bassy. Thanks!

Re: 250k pot for JB...

How many pots do you have on your guitar? ideally the 250K would be for the bridge only, and a 500K for the neck.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I think I've got one here or there - I've only ever used a 250k pot with a JB. I'll check back later tonight.

Comment

It's a new Pro Mod, with only a master volume for both pickups. I guess that takes care of that, lol. Thanks!

Comment

I have a late '90s G&L ASAT Deluxe with the '59/TB-4 set. Maple over mahogany, V, T, 3-way selector and global coil cut. It has 250K pots.

I like this set, a lot. I'm a classic rock, blues, country, jazz guy in a G/B/K/D cover band . I don't use a lot of crunch rhythms, or metal. I use Mesa amps, but even on my lead channel solos, I only have the gain 6-7. I usually gig with multiple guitars.

Some guys complain about the shrill upper mids of the JB, but I'm not getting that here. It is warm, fat, rounded--a good rock tone. Very similar to the Classic '57+ bridge pickups I have in a couple of my Les Pauls. (I'm sure they have 300K pots.) The ASAT does not sound like a Les Paul to me. The coil splits do not make it sound like a Tele, but it is a usable tone on both pickups. It does not "twang". I will usually set the amp up for the split coil; then when I use the HB mode I have a nice little boost and HB fatness. The '59 is not too dark with this setup; sounds like a vintage humbucker to me.

From my experience, and from what the other guys on the board have written about the JB, I think the 250K pot is a good place to start--and adjust from there.

Good luck.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The 250k pot works great with a JB. It won't make the 59 bassy, it only affects the highs and will soften the shrill highs of the 59. Like Bill said, it's a good place to start.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Here we go... this is my Music Man Silo Special using a regular JB with one 250k pot and no tone control:

Comment

I think 250k's muffle the JB too much. I use 300k volume and 500k tone with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                  I think 250k's muffle the JB too much. I use 300k volume and 500k tone with them.
                  The part of the JB's tone that is "muffled" is the shrillness that tends to be so irritating about the JB.

PS: there really isn't much difference between a 250k and 300k volume pot. Certainly not enough to say that the 250k "muffles" the tone and the 300k doesn't.
                  Last edited by GuitarDoc; 11-20-2014, 07:27 AM.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
                    I'm thinking of doing the same (300K volumes, 500K tones) on a semi-hollow I'm putting a Jazz + JB in. I'm having a tough time deciding 250 vs 500 (SD has 500k in their schematics, people suggested 250k). Should going 300/500 for both volumes/tones with a Jazz & JB work out well?

Comment

I use 500k volume with a 250k no load tone for the Jazz and the JB.

Truth be told, I don't think it matters that much.

Try them all out to your heart's desire. Pots are cheap and can be easily replaced if you don't like them.
                      Originally posted by Myaccount876
                      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                        and can be easily replaced if you don't like them.
                        Unless you have a semi hollow... like tubes does...
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                          Unless you have a semi hollow... like tubes does...
                          Oh. He's **** out of luck, then.

... A JB in a semi-hollow? I'd love to hear how that would sound.
                          Originally posted by Myaccount876
                          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                            Oh. He's **** out of luck, then.

... A JB in a semi-hollow? I'd love to hear how that would sound.
                            Haha.. my thoughts exactly.

And they'd sound something like this hopefully: (SH-2/SH-4 in Gibson ES-333)

Seymour Duncan Pickups (SH-2 / SH-4) Boss RC-2 Looper / clean only / Amp: Fender Vibroverb (original 1963), Vahlbruch Spacetime Delay, Korg Pitchblack Tune...

Seymour Duncan Pickups (SH-2 / SH-4) Boss RC-2 Looper / clean only / Amp: Fender Vibroverb (original 1963), Vahlbruch Spacetime Delay, Korg Pitchblack Tune...
                            Last edited by Tubes; 11-20-2014, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Love the SH-4 with 250K stock Fender pots. Bought a new strat and installed an SH-5 with 500K pots. Hated it. Could have been the pickup though, but the SH-4 was waaaaay smoother, warmer and rounder around the edges. I will probably never go for 500K pots again.

Comment

Working...
                              X