Gibson Dirty Fingers ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Dirty Fingers ??

Anyone use these? Can you describe them at all? And anyone know if the reissue sounds like the original? Are there better Duncan (or other) pickups in the same power/tonal range as a Dirty Fingers? I know its hot at around 16k and ceramic.

I saw a Black Sabbath cover band last night called 'Masters of Reality' and the guitar player was playing early 80's block inlay SG's with Dirty Fingers through Marshalls and had killer fat monster tone.

Re: Gibson Dirty Fingers ??

i had some in a les paul and they were plenty big and thick, as much output as a super distortion. i kinda thought they were a little muddy under high gain and this was in a maple neck lp

Comment

Intersting, then a brighter SG through a bright British voiced amp might work. This guy had a fat raw tone. I might have to try one in my SG just to see.

Comment

yeah in a sg it might sound great

Comment

Any comparable Duncan? How's the Duncan CS Iommi?

Comment

IM not sure but i know TOM delonge of Blink 182 uses a dirty fingers in his Gibson hollowbody and it has insane output so that might give you an idea.
            Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Yes I have two original Gibson Dirty Fingers which came stock in my Designer Flying V back in the 80's. The bridge was rated around 14-16k, very hot. I heard they've got about 3 ceramic mags (there was also a post about this in the previous Duncan forum). They unfortunately can't be split. All 12 adjustable polepieces, pretty much overwound. The neck sounds agressive, with plenty of mids and bass, but a little less treble (I think the Duncan C5 comes closest, though this pick up sounds a tad more agressive). The bridge pick up is very raw, close to the Distortion I believe. More treble, but still lots of mids and a little less bass. It's got that real 80's Metal flavour. I know they used to put them in the ES series and Blues and Jazz players hated them. These pick ups are made to kill just about anything you mix 'em with. I remember Zerb putting one with a Dimebucker in the bridge, and the Dirty Finger totally killed the Dimebucker

Oh yeah I totally forgot. No the new Dirty Fingers are different in their kind. It isn't a very good reissue for that matter. A luthier friend of mine told me about this a month ago, he was also trying to convince me to dump my Bill Lawrence L500XL, and just put the Dirty Finger in there. But I didn't
              Last edited by Neeradj; 04-11-2004, 06:38 AM.
              Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
              Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
              Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
              Marshall 2x12 Vintage
              Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Working...
              X