Which SD for Gibson Explorer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which SD for Gibson Explorer ?

I have a Gibson Mahagony-bodied Gothic Explorer with ebony fretboard. The guitar is recently without the pickups. I would like to put some Seymour Duncans in it. Please tell me, which bridge SD Pickup is the most suitable for that type of guitar ? I play fast shredding and melodic death/thrash metal. For that style, i need some pickup with good harmonics and tightness for fast palm muting and fat,middy single notes and chords. I consider sometning like SH-10 ? Thanx for the advices !
    Last edited by Goran; 02-04-2005, 06:56 AM.

Re: Which SD for Gibson Explorer ?

Hey Goran WELCOME TO THE FORUM!

For what you described you could go a few different routes. First it would also help us to know what kind of rig you are running through so if you get a chance post that as well. Anyways

You could go with a Distortion, Custom, or JB for high output

The distortion has a large ceramic magnet and an aggressive heavy tone with harmonics that sound great in a mahogany guitar

The custom has a normal sized ceramic magnet and is also an aggressive sounding pup but not quite as much output as the distortion. It is thick and sounds good across the tonal spectrum

The JB has a Alncio 5 (A5) magnet that has fair lows and low mids, great high mids and great highs. This is another favorite in mahogany bodied guitars. It can be bright in guitars with maple tops (it was in mine) It cuts through the mix very very well.

For Middle level of output the only option you have (without the Custom Shop) is the Screaming Demon.

An A5 magnet with one set of screws and one set of allen poles. Still somewhat aggressive sounding with lots of highs.

For the Neck you could go Distortion, Full Shred, or Jazz

The distortion is the mate to the bridge pup pretty simple

The full shred has a A5 magnet and two sets of allen poles. It is very articulate and can be bright. A very good pup for those who are willing to take the time to EQ the pup and amp

Jazz A vintage output pup that has a A5 magnet. Some find it lacking bass. It has good mids and highs and sounds GREAT in the neck position. This is what I use in my Heritage 150 (LP build)

Anyways we can also fine tune suggestions by knowing your rig Ex. a dark sounding guitar (all mahogany) and a dark rig will need a brighter pup, or maybe one with allen poles.

Hope this helps you some man!

Luke
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

I use Peavey heads and Marshall Vintage30 box. I also use D-Tuning. Invader will be to dark for this guitar ?

Comment

Seems like I just answered an Explorer thread not long ago....Oh well... I don't actually own an Explorer, but I do have a '79 Dean Z Standard with is for all practical purposes, the same thing. I have an Invader in the bridge position of that guitar and I've bypassed the tone knob for that pickup, so it goes straight to the plug. The neck position is currently a DiMarzio Super Distortion that I keep changing out from time to time, but I'm currently satisfied with the tone from this pup, so it'll probably stay that way for awhile. The Invader is a HUGE output, full tonal spectrum pickup. I have had nothing but satisfaction with the Invader and I think you might like it too, considering the type of music that you're playing.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Since it's a big mahogany guitar, I'd definitely put a Custom 5/59 in it.
          The C-5 stays nice and clear, and the lows are powerful and tight. The mids and highs will balance perfectly with that guitar. I'd go C-5 or Custom.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

the distortion bridge, and if you gunna play all metal, go for a distortion in the neck to...

Comment

Working...
            X