banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Come My Ibanez Still Sounds Like A Strat!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Come My Ibanez Still Sounds Like A Strat!?

Ok, so I got my Ibanez RG570 back today having had a '59 fitted in the neck and a TB-6 in the bridge. I have the same bridge pick up in my Jackson KVX10 and it sounds great but the bridge on my Ibanez doesn't.

It's not really a lack of output... it's just so God damn 'twangy' or something.

I've heard Ibanez guitars do sound thin... is my guitar just a piece of ****?
    Disciples Of The Watch
    OBEY!
    Or I'll Burn You To That
    CROSS!

Re: How Come My Ibanez Still Sounds Like A Strat!?

Hmm.. What about the pot and cap values.. are they the same as in your Jackson?
    Is the setup correct? My Rg470 has always sounded cool..
    Ebay quote :"..Everything was glued together, and I have not had any problem with playability, my tech says it's gonna hold up good.."

Comment

Originally posted by Breaking the law
      Hmm.. What about the pot and cap values.. are they the same as in your Jackson?
      Is the setup correct? My Rg470 has always sounded cool..
      All the pots on both guitars are stock.

I'm guessing they're both 500k.
      Disciples Of The Watch
      OBEY!
      Or I'll Burn You To That
      CROSS!

Comment

I learned, just recently, the difference that a guitar can make. The Patriot and Predator in my sig are the same guitar except for the bridge and nut. The pair of 59's were in the Patriot. They were harsh and shrill. I lifted the entire pickguard assembly out, and moved it to the Predator - which means everything stayed the same: pots, wires, jacks, caps . . . everything.

The difference was profound. The 59's in Predator are smooth and "bluesy". Its become my favorite axe.

Comment

you set the height properly?

Comment

I have an RG570, and had a Distortion in the bridge... twangy was definitely not the way I'd describe it.

Do all 5 positions on the switch sound different? Pop off the plate, and make sure the red & white wires on both pickups are soldered together. If they're not, you basically have 3 single coil pickups
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
              If they're not, you basically have 3 single coil pickups
              Actually, if the red and white aren't connected together, you have 4 spools of wire.

(There would be no sound at all.)

Comment

yeah, +1 on wondering about pup height ... getting it dialed in is so often overlooked .. it is not as easy as just measuring .. it's a listenin' thang

getting my C5 dialed in correctly for my ibanez took a while, but once done, the difference is profound

good luck
                t4d
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

I've got the pick ups as high as they can go without having the strings catch on the pole pieces.

I also get a lot of buzzing from the pickups.

It's mainly the lack of bass that puzzles me.
                  Disciples Of The Watch
                  OBEY!
                  Or I'll Burn You To That
                  CROSS!

Comment

hmmm, "too high" can be a problem just as much as "too low" .. maybe back them off a half-turn at a time to see if you can fatten up the high end ...

are you sure that you have the grounds secure too? shouldnt be buzzing ...

good luck
                    t4d
                    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Did the tech who installed them know what he was doing? From the symptoms it sounds like they're wired up either: 1) single coil or 2) both coils, but out of phase. I'm betting on #2; having them out of phase would kill the low end (and most of the rest of the signal) and DOUBLE the hum.

Check the wiring you got against the SD installation diagrams, which must be around here somewhere....
                      Last edited by Rich_S; 02-04-2005, 12:48 PM. Reason: Too long.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

I know **** all about wiring.

I took the back plate off but I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to wiring.

I did notice that all but one of the little nodule things on the five way switch had wires soldered to them.
                        Disciples Of The Watch
                        OBEY!
                        Or I'll Burn You To That
                        CROSS!

Comment

Look here:

Link to schematic

It's pretty close. The important thing to look at is the cable coming from each humbucker. The red + white should be soldered together, but not to anything else (assuming no coil tap switches, etc.) The black probably goes to the switch. The green should be grounded, usually soldered to a poteniometer can. If the green & red (or black & white) are swapped you have a phase problem.
                          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                          Rich Stevens

Comment

I think I'm just going to go in tomorrow and show the tech the schematics thing and see if it's the same.

It hums more than the single coil on my Ibanez.
                            Disciples Of The Watch
                            OBEY!
                            Or I'll Burn You To That
                            CROSS!

Comment

Originally posted by DiscipleOfThePit
                              I think I'm just going to go in tomorrow and show the tech the schematics thing and see if it's the same.
                              Good idea.

Originally posted by DiscipleOfThePit
                              It hums more than the single coil on my Ibanez.
                              I rest my case - the coils are out of phase.
                              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                              Rich Stevens

Comment

Working...
                              X