Jackson Rhoads RR-3 Pickup Help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Rhoads RR-3 Pickup Help wanted

Hey guys, Ive been reading these posts for a while and have finally decided to become a member

Ive always known boards like this to be helpful and was wondering if you guys could be so kind as to help me with a new guitar i recently bought

The Model is a Jackson RR-3 rhoads as you can tell from the title. It has an Alder body and came stock with duncan designed pickups. I went to guitar center and ordered a Tb-6 distortion Trembucker for the bridge position, but now i am questioning my purchase. Will this pickup sound too bright in my guitar? ive never replaced a pickup so any comments at all would be greatly appreciated. The styles of music i most play range from Van Halen, to 8's thrash (metallica etc) back to dirty blues, just in case you were wondering

If it is too bright what pickup would you suggest? A C-5? or maybe the CC?

Thanks Again- Andrew

Re: Jackson Rhoads RR-3 Pickup Help wanted

i think it would be bright, i have one in my les paul and i still find it pretty bright. i like the custom better. but a pickup that i noticed that sounds extremely good in alder is the super distortion. i have one in my other charvel, and it's awesome!

Comment

super distortion as in dimarzio? never thought of that do they make models to fit floyd roses?

Comment

bump

Comment

Yep, F-spaced
          ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

thanks korina, do u have to special order them that way? f spaced? also hows the output/sound quality compared to the duncan custom or distortion? thanks

Comment

I actually like the distortion in the RR Jacksons. They sound great. The RR5 and RR1 models come stock with a set of JB's which also sound very nice. I don't find either of them too bright. Give the DD a shot. You will probally like it.

Comment

well, the super distortion, compared to the custom is almost completely different. the super distortion is mainly focused on the lows and mids. with a brighter wood like alder it balances out pretty good. the custom is more overall balanced with the bass and treble about the same and mids just under it, which i find quite useful when i want to be heard.
                about the F- spacing, you dont need to special order it. most shops should have at least one f-spaced. but it doesn't "need" to be f-spaced, the one i got isn't f-spaced and it sounds dman nice.

Comment

also, if you wnat to hear a pretty good example of the super distortion, PM Biu. he has some clips of the SD.

Comment

thanks, scooter, you didnt find the dd too bright at all? my concern is im going to get those really really annoying trebles that make you grab your ears and run for the hills!

Comment

^^ actually thats what i get with my DD, but it's your decision. dont get me wrong, the DD is a good pickup but it's just too bright for me.

Comment

ouch gunna have to try and cancel the order from guitar center, hope theyll do it...

Now see if you can help me here, im thinking now either going with 1) super distortion from dimarzio, since you say it fits fine, or B0 the custom 5 from SD, now can you help me here? it seems like the super distortion will balance out a lot better

Comment

the Custom 5 has a bit scooped feel to it, which you eather love it or hate it. since it's going in an alder rhoads then i wouldn't really recommend it. but you should ask Robert about it. the Custom 5 doesn't seem as full as the custom or the Super Distortion, to my ears.

Comment

k, and also, does the charvel have one of those jt-500 type bridges? made by jackson liscenced b floyd rose? cuz im trying to figure if non f spacing will work, id hate to buy the pickup standard then have it now work

Comment

my charvel with the Super Distortion has a vintage tremolo on it. the f-spacing is meant for guitars with pretty much any style tremolo that uses springs in the back.

it'll work fine, the worst that could happen would be that you'd have to sand down the little things on the sides. whihc i wouldn't worry about since they're pretty small.

Comment

Working...
                              X