HotRails fullsized???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HotRails fullsized???

what full size humbucker would sound most like the HotRails??? If there is even one that does. Passive only.

Re: HotRails fullsized???

Duncan Distortion would be my guess
    ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
    2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
    Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

You bring up an interesting idea. How about a dual-HotRails?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin_Hot_Rails.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	5784070

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60664[/ATTACH]
        I work in a music store and some kid came in with a really beat up off-brand strat-type guitar. I looked at it and asked what was up with the bridge pickup(s). He put a single-coil sized JB and a single-coil sized 59 in the humbucker space. He responded that he couldn't decide which one he liked better, so he went with both.

I wish I had gotten a chance to play that guitar...

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60664[/ATTACH]
          You mean like the Peavey Steve Cropper?

Name:	Peavey Steve Cropper.jpg
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	5784071
          Nope...

Comment

do they make an adapter or ring that would allow you to mount 2 single coils in one hum bucker space like that.
            Something tells me that 2 hot rails would be to big to fit in a standard humbucking cavity.
            That is one hell of an idea though. I have a 1 pickup 1 volume set up so to be able to put a hotrails on the bottom
            and a JB Junior or CoolRails on top in one humbucker pickup space would be fantastic for me. I would use a
            push pull knob to switch back and fourth.
            And yes I already know about the P-rails hot, but I like the sound and output of the HotRails Better.
            Last edited by GEMINI; 01-31-2015, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RStabler View Post
              I work in a music store and some kid came in with a really beat up off-brand strat-type guitar. I looked at it and asked what was up with the bridge pickup(s). He put a single-coil sized JB and a single-coil sized 59 in the humbucker space. He responded that he couldn't decide which one he liked better, so he went with both.

I wish I had gotten a chance to play that guitar...
              Cool idea.

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
              You mean like the Peavey Steve Cropper?
              Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by GEMINI View Post
                do they make an adapter or ring that would allow you to mount 2 single coils in one hum bucker space like that.
                Something tells me that 2 hot rails would be to big to fit in a standard humbucking cavity.
                They fit fine. You'd just need to jury-rig the pickup mounting holes.

Name:	Dual-cool.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	5784086

I'd be more concerned about the magnet interaction.

Comment

I think the Duncan Distortion would be the ans.

I remember Dimarzio having a pickup called the Multibucker that was a Fastrack1 and chopper under one hood.

EDIT:- This could have made a nice base for a custom shop Forum pup.
                  Last edited by Jocelyn; 02-01-2015, 09:31 AM.
                  sigpic
                  Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                  JFG Flying V,
                  "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                  John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

They fit fine. You'd just need to jury-rig the pickup mounting holes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60688[/ATTACH]

If they are wired independent of each other I don't think there would be a problem.

Comment

Sorry Gemini. I accidentally hijacked your thread.

Comment

I don't think you hijacked, you offered an answer to what I was looking for, I thank you for that.

Comment

Originally posted by GEMINI View Post
                          If they are wired independent of each other I don't think there would be a problem.
                          Wiring isn't the issue; if the magnets are sufficiently strong and close to each other, the magnetic field of each pickup will be bent by the other. It's hard to say exactly what this would do to the sound, but it probably wouldn't be good.

If you're looking for a full-sized hotrails humbucker, I've heard that the Custom Shop has made them before but I don't know much else. This was in a Rig Rundown video several years ago; unfortunately I can't remember the artist.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

That is good to hear. The thing I love about the hotrails so much is for as high output and massive sustain that it has, it really isn't that distorted, and it cleans and fattens up when turned down.I have had a hotrails pickup in my custom warmoth strat since 1983 and it is still my all time most favorite pickup ever. If I could get that sound in a full sized humbucker for my other guitar, that would be great!!

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	5784092

Comment

I've played both Hotrails and Distortions and they are far different. The Hotrails actually has more bass, less mids and less sizzle than the Distortion. Closet Duncan humbucker to it I think is a PATB-2.

Comment

Working...
                              X