2 New Custom Shop Pickups On The Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 New Custom Shop Pickups On The Way

I spoke with MJ last night and ordered a CS scatterwound slightly overwound (14.75K) Custom Custom with A2 magnet of course and Antiquity hardware with Gibson style single conductor wire. This will reside in a 2004 LP Standard with a CS Slash spec A2Pro neck pickup and RS Guitarworks Premium cap and pot upgrade.

I also ordered a CS scatterwound by MJ 59/CC Hybrid. I figured since so many forum members have made these I would go to the pro and let her do the job. This will have Antiquity hardware, open double black coils, Gibson braided single conductor wire and A2 magnet and will measure 11.25K. It will reside in a new Gibson Custom Shop '57 Refin that will be aged to resembel Slash's '87 Standard that he used during the Illusion tour and currently uses for Fall To Pieces in the VR live show. Again, the neck PU is a Slash spec A2Pro from MJ.

BTW, the '57 Refins are great guitars since they are Historic spec with long neck tenon and good electronics. They have an off-center top seam as if someone stripped a Goldtop and converted it to a Burst. They are in the $2250 price range at Dave's Guitar SHop and WIldwood Guitars.

I am also using 4 other Historic LP's all with either Slash spec A2Pros from the Custom Shop or in the case of my 2 Slash Signature guitars, stock APH-1's. I am pretty excited aince I am rejoining my original hard rock band here in Philly. They are getting bigger and better crowds and larger rooms in the region. I think a deal is just around the corner. I will tell more soon!(don't want to jinx anything ya know!!!)

Re: 2 New Custom Shop Pickups On The Way

Wow... very cool... a Custom Shop 59/CC Hybrid... what did MJ say when you requested that baby? Did she think you were crazy?
    The A2Pro will match perfectly in the neck position!
    GMP Guitars RULE!

Comment

sorry a bit of a newbie when it comes to pickup winding...what does scatterwound mean (i think i got the idea by the name but you never know) and what does it do to the sound?

-Mike
      www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Bach-she semed to know exactly what it would sound like but claims not to have heard of your and others efforts on your own! She said it would be a great match with the Slash spec A2P also. Next I must try an underwound DD like Steveo and maybe an El Diablo-not the Scott Ian rail magnet type but the JB/Demon sort of hybrid. I am not sure how that would work in a Les Paul though-I have read some posts that do not like Demons in a Paul. I am also going to eventually get the JB Prototype(A2) and Overwound Jazz set from MJ and maybe an S-Deco set too! I am 100% devoted to SD pickups and use nothing else-even the highest of high end Historics get their Burstbuckers removed...

X-scatterwound as I understand it means handwinding although all PU's are wound by a machine I believe-I guess the operator actually stands there and monitors and manipulates the wire as it goes on the bobbin as opposed to a robot or computer for production pickups-where is Evan?

Comment

cool. cant wait to hear some clips of those new pups, they sound interesting!

also, whats your band called? i live close to philly, and my dad went to school at penn, so i might be able to convince him to take a trip over and see a show....
          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
          fender mim standard strat
          peavey classic 30
          johnson j-station
          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
          yamaha f-310p acoustic
          taylor 410 acoustic
          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

"...and RS Guitarworks Premium cap and pot upgrade."

I updated my 02 LP Classic with this kit and an Antiquity neck and Seth Lover bridge. I went back to the stock volume pot for the bridge, as I found the sound thinner and too bright with the 500k. You seem to have a lot of LPs and know what you're looking for in pickups, so I am interested in your opinion - Do you ever think that the 500k CTS volume pot has this effect on your bridge pickup?
            -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
            -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

Very cool Todd! I am glad you got your order up. You have really thought this one out. I hope the pickups work out for you.
              As for the scatter winding, I think you have it right. You are going to get a more personal touch and more mojo.
              Rock on.
              My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

That's very interesting. Post some clips if you can when you get them. I'd love to hear them.

What would be the effects of overwinding the CC? More low mids and bass?
                '04 Schecter C-1 Plus (TB-4 JB/SH-2n Jazz)

Comment

what are the specs on the slash custom anyway???
                  Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                  Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                  Originally posted by Sosomething
                  "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE
                    ...what does scatterwound mean
                    -Mike
                    There's a Seymour Q & A on this somewhere, but its easier to paraphrase than to go find it.

All scatterwinds are handwound, but not all handwinds are scatterwound.

You can wind by hand, and do it smoothly, and uniformly.

Or, you can scatterwind . . . using a random distribution pattern as the winder spins. This creates voids and air-pockets in the coil, which affects its EQ and output. Generally, each scatterwound pup will be slightly different. It would be almost impossible to scatterwind to the same way.

Comment

regarding the scatterwinding, I'll just add that I think the affect of the randomness of the wind gives you a pickup with a smoother tone ... it helps avoid any frequency spikes that a more consistent pattern would have
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X