Full Shred?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred?

In a basswood body, maple bolt on neck Charvel model 4. I find the JB to be a little too bright. I like the Distortion in my other Charvel, but I would like to try something different. I like being able to churn out super fast riffs without losing definition. Think prog/power metal, and I prefer mids to highs. I don't want anything shrill or muddy, something nice and in between. Will the Full Shred sit the bill, or is there another that would be better?
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Re: Full Shred?

im about to put in FS in my basswood ibanez rgt42, ill let you know how it sounds

FENDER STRAT: JB, SSL-2, JAZZ
    IBANEZ RGT42: FULL SHRED TREMBUCKER, PEARLY GATES
    AMP: SOVTEK Tube Midget 50H

Comment

Originally posted by Travis
      In a basswood body, maple bolt on neck Charvel model 4. I find the JB to be a little too bright. I like the Distortion in my other Charvel, but I would like to try something different. I like being able to churn out super fast riffs without losing definition. Think prog/power metal, and I prefer mids to highs. I don't want anything shrill or muddy, something nice and in between. Will the Full Shred sit the bill, or is there another that would be better?
      I've used both a Full Shred and a JB in a Basswood-bodied guitar and the Full Shred was brighter. It also didn't have much going on in the mids department either. The bass was nice and tight, though. If you like the mids of the JB, you probably won't like the Full Shred. You may try to tone the JB down a little with a 250k volume pot or increase the capacitor value on your tone control, if you have one. I switched to a Screamin' Demon and it is basically what you describe.
      My Gear:
      Kramer USA Baretta II;Ibanez RG550 (MIJ)
      Laney Pro Tube Lead AOR 50watt 1x12" Combo
      Boss GT-3;ProCo Rat2;DOD 250 Overdrive/Preamp;DOD 201 Phaser;DOD FX-90 Delay

Pickups Used:
      TB-12 Screamin' Demon;TB-4 JB;SH-10 Full Shred;SH-5 Custom;TB-1 '59;TB-6 Distortion

Comment

First of all, the body of a model 4 is poplar rather than basswood. A Full Shred sounds very nice in that guitar, similar to a Strat lead pickup but much hotter and more full sounding on the low end.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

According to the catalogs and most everyone at the Jackson/Charvel forum where I spend most of my online time, the model 4 was made of basswood. I tend to prefer lower mids than upper mids, the latter adds too much to the treble and I don't care for anything too shrill.
          Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I love the FSb in my ash strat. Don't know about poplar or basswood though. If you don't like it there's the 21-day exhange policy...
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

Working...
            X