banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you guys compress that little spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you guys compress that little spring?

So, after a few pickup swaps, I'm becoming pretty confident with the wiring and using the soldering iron. The real frustrating part seems to be compressing those adjustment springs that live between the pickup baseplate and the mounting ring. They seem to pop out and fly across the room!

Any hints for compressing that spring and getting the screw in without having 3 hands at your disposal?

-Matt
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: How do you guys compress that little spring?

Originally posted by JammerMatt
    So, after a few pickup swaps, I'm becoming pretty confident with the wiring and using the soldering iron. The real frustrating part seems to be compressing those adjustment springs that live between the pickup baseplate and the mounting ring. They seem to pop out and fly across the room!

Any hints for compressing that spring and getting the screw in without having 3 hands at your disposal?

-Matt
    Matt...I've been using the surgical tubing for years now and prefer it...What I do is have the pickup in position,put one screw a little ways into the pickguard and put the spring in between the pickup and the guard on one side first..I get the screw in a couple of turns and then go to the opposite side and do the same thing...Try doing one side at a time by holding the pickup straight...If you use surgical tubing,the tubing actually holds the screws into the guard...I then hold the guard in a vertical position,while holding the pickup over the screws,I can then just carefully screw both screws into the pickup holes..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I'm having trouble understanding. What is the surgical tubing doing? Where is it located?

BTW, my rigs are Les Paul and Jacksons, so I don't have a pickguard going on. I have the plastic rectangular mounting rings. Is it the same principal as with a strat?

Thanks
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Hey Matt; I got this idea from John also. It works great. Basically, the tubing takes the place of the spring. Its very soft and pliable, and much easier to handle than the springs.

I even got mine from a local guitar store, all prepackaged with the Fender name on it, for less than $2.00.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with mounting rings.

Comment

Here's what I do.

I grab the mounting ring in my left hand, put a screw in the hole and slide a spring onto it (my left thumb goes over the screw-head, and my left index finger holds the spring onto the screw. the mounting ring rests against my palm).

I then grab the pickup with my right hand, and (with the bottom of the pickup against my palm), position one of the pickups feet inbetween my index finger and my thumb. I then press the two together using both of my index fingers to make sure both parts mate.

One they are together, and I am sure the screw is sitting ontop of the hole, I will grab the pickup with the last 3 fingers on my left hand. My free right hand then grabs a nearby screwdriver and turns the screw in until it is through the foot.

It doesn't take me more than a 10 seconds for each side. In other words, practice makes perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Hey Matt; I got this idea from John also. It works great. Basically, the tubing takes the place of the spring. Its very soft and pliable, and much easier to handle than the springs.

I even got mine from a local guitar store, all prepackaged with the Fender name on it, for less than $2.00.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with mounting rings.
            Sorry Matt...Didn't realize you were working with the rings...Yes the surgical tubing works great with the rings also..The tubing just replaces the springs..

jOHN
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

i put the screw through the mounting ring, put the spring on the screw and compress it down as far as possible, with my left index finger and thumb i hold the spring down so that the end of the screw is sticking out further than the spring, i grab the pickups and put it on the screw and spin the pickup til its screwed on. DO THIS BEFORE YOU WIRE IT

Comment

The springs require a lot of patience....go with the tubing, since patience wear thin pretty fast for most of us.
                "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I just use a pair of wire cutters and trim the bottom of the spring off so that it's a hair shorter than the screw. Works like a charm !!!
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                    I just use a pair of wire cutters and trim the bottom of the spring off so that it's a hair shorter than the screw. Works like a charm !!!
                    Quite a few years ago I changed over to the surgical tubing and right now it's all I'll use..
                    John

Comment

I'll get some tubing.... STAT!

Thanks fellas.

-Matt

Comment

I still use the springs myself ... BTW how many people have had to chase down that spring across the room when your finger slips while holding the pickguard as your reaching for a pup from the table ...
                        Either go with the tubing, or just put up with being careful, there aren't to many other options.
                        ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                        ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                        Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                          Ya know, that's a really good idea...

Comment

Working...
                          X