Wiring Idea: Tele 4-way w/ Esquire mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Idea: Tele 4-way w/ Esquire mod

For a while, I've been contemplating adding another project to my already overflowing project list: an ash Esquire.

Thing is, a) I already have an ash Tele - my 4way wired sunburst, and b) I also have another Tele in the build list: my Andy Summers tribute.

Sooo... to avoid buying another Tele, but still scratch an itch...

I tweaked the 4-way schematic to add a SPDT switch, that changes out the cap value on the tone knob. I'm thinking it'd be in my best interest to repurpose that switch spot to a DPTT to give me the three Esquire options when the bridge pickup is selected alone. Can that do the trick? Or would there be some close facsimile thereof, like blower switch/normal/Esquire bass-preset?
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Re: Wiring Idea: Tele 4-way w/ Esquire mod

Or maybe make use of a 5-way switch?

Comment

I did something like that before. I added the blend knob also, trying to get all the original Esquire, Broadcaster, Telecaster sounds in one guitar.

Comment

How well did it work? Worth doing again?

Sent from my iPad using a bunch of electrons, copper, and probably some fiber optic cable

Comment

It is awesome, very useful, and I would make it standard in any Tele I own. I worked one of the switches too hard, so I need to redo it (have a standard Tele wiring kit in there temporarily). But it was great. I kind of noticed I tend to put the tone on the bridge and run the neck straight out, so I might work on a version where I don't have to throw two switches. (I found myself switching both switches at the same time like it was a Brian May guitar.)

Comment

Got a schematic for it?

Sent from my iPad using a bunch of electrons, copper, and probably some fiber optic cable

Comment

Note:
              Volume pot is standard 250k
              Tone pot is standard 250k
              Blend pot is 250k no-load
              Pickup selector is standard 3-way
              Tone selector is a Gretsch tone switch (3 settings, doesn't blend in middle position)
              Up is dark, down is tone control, middle is straight out with no tone control
              Dark circuit is the Broadcaster-style, not the full Esquire version (couldn't fit three .05 caps all in there)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                Note:
                Volume pot is standard 250k
                Tone pot is standard 250k
                Blend pot is 250k no-load
                Pickup selector is standard 3-way
                Tone selector is a Gretsch tone switch (3 settings, doesn't blend in middle position)
                Up is dark, down is tone control, middle is straight out with no tone control
                Dark circuit is the Broadcaster-style, not the full Esquire version (couldn't fit three .05 caps all in there)

Recognizing that this is a fairly old post, but...
                I am wondering if/how the cap and resistor values might change (and tone for that matter) with the use of 500k pots?

Also, is the blend pot just a regular no-load pot? Not one of those with two levels of tabs?

And final question, in the years since this post, have you made any adjustments to this original schematic?

I’m putting together a partscaster tele and was fascinated by this wiring schematic; however, I’m trying to use as many of the on-hand parts as possible, hence the 500k pots.
                The body is a stock Squier Affinity model Tele.
                I’m not a musican by any means, just a home tinkerer.
                *Also, I have, for all intents and purposes, a non-existent electronics back ground. I can solder according to the pictures, and have a minor understanding of how the components work, so please excuse any awkward questions or parlance.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiddo View Post
                  Recognizing that this is a fairly old post, but...
                  I am wondering if/how the cap and resistor values might change (and tone for that matter) with the use of 500k pots?

Also, is the blend pot just a regular no-load pot? Not one of those with two levels of tabs?

And final question, in the years since this post, have you made any adjustments to this original schematic?

I’m putting together a partscaster tele and was fascinated by this wiring schematic; however, I’m trying to use as many of the on-hand parts as possible, hence the 500k pots.
                  The body is a stock Squier Affinity model Tele.
                  I’m not a musican by any means, just a home tinkerer.
                  *Also, I have, for all intents and purposes, a non-existent electronics back ground. I can solder according to the pictures, and have a minor understanding of how the components work, so please excuse any awkward questions or parlance.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
                  500k pots would be a touch brighter when on "10". With the right guitar and pickups (ash tele, maple neck, broadcaster pickups), 500k is not necessary and doesn't provide a real advantage.

The Broadcaster "blend" is a simple volume type pot that isn't grounded. I used a no-load version intended for tone controls so it could be out of circuit when all the way up.

I have toyed with other ways to do the dark circuit and switching, but I have not actually wired them in to test them so far.

Comment

hello i know im kind of off ,but seeing this setup i was hoping someone coud help me.ive got a telecaster put la brea pickups in it.had a mojo wiring harness 4 way swiching.i cut the wire on the neck pickup added a wire for the cover.i hook it up and only get 2 sounds please any help

Comment

Originally posted by mapletop1 View Post
                      hello i know im kind of off ,but seeing this setup i was hoping someone coud help me.ive got a telecaster put la brea pickups in it.had a mojo wiring harness 4 way swiching.i cut the wire on the neck pickup added a wire for the cover.i hook it up and only get 2 sounds please any help
                      My first suggestion is to start your own post, to make sure it gets seen, since this one is ancient. lol Also, post a pic of what you did to the neck pickup. Somebody'll be along to help you out (maybe even me, but I'm not on here much anymore).

Comment

Working...
                      X