Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Distortion vs Black Winter?

Hi there people!

I'm thinking of replacing the active EMG's pups in my mahogany Jackson Soloist. I've been thinking about one of these 2 pups. Currently my rig is a Laney Ironheart and i play 80's Heavy Metal and Melodic Death Metal as well as some Thrash and straight up Death Metal. Can only get Duncans so please don't suggest BK or Dimarzio pups. I'm looking for something with good clarity and natural sounding with less compression and saturation than the EMG's, any help is appreciated.

Re: Duncan Distortion vs Black Winter?

Well, a good marketing phrase will be: Black Winter: the same as the Distortion, just a lot better!

Comment

But that would cut into Dist sales,wouldn't it?

"Scalloped & Stickered"
      A Colled One & A Rold One!!!

RIP My Beloved Sleepy Flower

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...t-67-Of-Myself

Comment

Go Black Winter.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
          Well, a good marketing phrase will be: Black Winter: the same as the Distortion, just a lot better!
          Exactly . The Black Winters have excellent clarity, tightness and bring out the natural sound of your guitar on top of that, so the clean sound is good too. The Distortion sounds a bit thicker, but is less clear and doesn't have the cleans of the BW.
          Last edited by El Supremo; 09-10-2015, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I've been through those hurdles, my experience am passing on, when your pup by design is thick\heavy with the touch dirt IE distortion, it's very hard to clean that up if you so choose to. Whereas a more versatile pup that can absorb your mixed via peddles distortion. That to me anyway is a more ideal solution. I got a set of Black Winters that I'm about to post on eBay. Duncan distortions Pup's I believe is the SH-6 I have used them and replace them because of the inability to clean them up when needed. I found that the SH-4 to be more versatile and through the boards gave me the ability to adjust to any type of distortion. So if you want passive SH-4 and if you want active AHB-1, and if you go with the active solution Try to fine a synced set.

Comment

Nazgul?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                Hmm, I heard Ola once call it a distortion but super. I guess super is always better.

Comment

Originally posted by lucaspaço View Post
                  Nazgul?
                  The mids on those babys can melt your face off. Had them in my 7 string. Perfect for downtuned 7 stringers but i would never put them in a 6 string but thanks anyways

Comment

Exactly . The Black Winters have excellent clarity, tightness and bring out the natural sound of your guitar on top of that, so the clean sound is good too. The Distortion sounds a bit thicker, but is less clear and doesn't have the cleans of the BW.

Sounds worthwhile...not planning to really play cleans with it but that's a very nice touch....but is it worth the extra money?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarByHMR View Post
                      I've been through those hurdles, my experience am passing on, when your pup by design is thick\heavy with the touch dirt IE distortion, it's very hard to clean that up if you so choose to. Whereas a more versatile pup that can absorb your mixed via peddles distortion. That to me anyway is a more ideal solution. I got a set of Black Winters that I'm about to post on eBay. Duncan distortions Pup's I believe is the SH-6 I have used them and replace them because of the inability to clean them up when needed. I found that the SH-4 to be more versatile and through the boards gave me the ability to adjust to any type of distortion. So if you want passive SH-4 and if you want active AHB-1, and if you go with the active solution Try to fine a synced set.
                      Thanks dude for the reply... I hear what you're saying but I don't really need Fender cleans just Dream theater cleans. I actually do have the JB, jazz set in my Hamer that i do love to bits.

Comment

i had a distortion bridge. it sounds like this:

there's another dude who made his so cal sound like Lynch, so who knows. yeah it can do dream theater cleans
                        Crash49 - my music on amazon and itunes
                        http://a.co/8ht5Qes

Comment

Quick question to OP I'm investing in a laney ironheart. The studio version though. I have a questiom for you, can the iromheart do djenty tones and modern metal (trivium avenged sevenfold) I'm fully aware it's capable of megadeth and such. I just severely hope it's what i have been gassiing for. My orange dark terror does not cut it.
                          Back to your question I'd go the distortion there's a good reason it's been a go to pickup for such a long time

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleidoscope21 View Post

Sounds worthwhile...not planning to really play cleans with it but that's a very nice touch....but is it worth the extra money?
                            +1, Black Winters are excellent, and very cersatile too. You can play with less gain too, and the cleans are very good

Enviado desde mi LG-D722AR mediante Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ianson36 View Post
                              Quick question to OP I'm investing in a laney ironheart. The studio version though. I have a questiom for you, can the iromheart do djenty tones and modern metal (trivium avenged sevenfold) I'm fully aware it's capable of megadeth and such. I just severely hope it's what i have been gassiing for. My orange dark terror does not cut it.
                              Back to your question I'd go the distortion there's a good reason it's been a go to pickup for such a long time
                              If an amp can do Megadeth on its own, it'll do modern metal with an overdrive pedal.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                              X